1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

3 DOF and coordinated vs uncoordinated flight

Discussion in 'X-Plane' started by FredHickory, Dec 4, 2021.

1. FredHickory

FredHickory New Member

Balance:
    31Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF
    I have started flight training for my Light Sport Pilot Certificate. One area that I am having trouble with is feeling coordinated vs uncoordinated flight attitudes. I have flown LSA with both self-centering rudders and non-self centering rudders. I find my self slipping in the non-self centering planes if I don't watch the ball. CFI feels it and calls me out.
    My question is, does a 3 dof motion simulator provide the proper feedback to feel the uncoordinated flight? I'm considering a DOF Reality H3 and use XP-11. I know it moves around, but if it doesn't provide an accurate feel then I may be wasting my money.
    Anyone actually fly and use a 3 dof sumulator? Does a 6 dof provide what I am looking for?
  2. Dirty

Dirty Well-Known Member Gold Contributor

All the way up front.
    Balance:
    7,825Coins
    Ratings:
    +859 / 2 / -0
    Hi, @FredHickory

X-Plane does a great job of providing correct/plausible data on almost the entire flight envelope.

Grab a plane, get your aircraft uncoordiniated and observe the Dataref "g_side" it should read somewhere around ±0.1G. You can view the datarefs with this program.

This lateral load is a sustained signal that should be cued in the roll-channel. The DOF H3 has a roll channel, so it should be percievable. In principle, at least.

However, I think that the small and subtle cues generated by uncoordinated flight is on the outer edge of the capabilities of such a small footprint rig, but I can't say with certainty. Maybe there's someone here using it who can speak with experience.

If you're only interested in uncoordinated flight, it shouldn't make much difference wether it is a 6DOF rig or not, as long as the rig can display roll.

Cheers,... Dirty :)
  3. FredHickory

FredHickory New Member

Balance:
    31Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF
    Thanks for your feedback