1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Question Firmware alternatives

Discussion in 'DIY peripherals' started by Michelle, Apr 17, 2024.

Tags:
  1. Michelle

Michelle New Member

Balance:
    251Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Hi there. Let me explain. I am currently running (almost 3y of use) a custom built classic wheel based on MiGe with AASD (dual encoder mod 10k + 2,5k) controlled by STM32F407 board with EMC Pro firmware. Everything works fine 97% of the time and I am very pleased with the whole system. The only major drawback is fact since EMC Pro is paid firmware and the license key is tied to your hardware ID meaning any major hardware change (cpu,mb,system disk) will invalidate your key. Learn it the hard way. I was able to obtain a new license key for the new hardware but the guy basically said he won't give me another new one for free. So I am currently looking for options on what firmware to migrate in the future. So far I am only aware of mmos, openffb, vnm (carsimulatorfw) and the emc as firmware for diy systems.

Mmos would be a huge downgrade, I am not considering that.

Openffb is fine but they do not support onboard DAC (and ppl in discord will laugh into your face when you say that you run on aasd and won't help you) and would require additional hardware for pwm -> analog to feed into the servo controller.

Vnm looks best atm. It will need only a different board as V2 uses STM32H742 (V1 is STM32F407).

Other than this options are basically keep using emc and hope for the best or use openffb and diy crap out of it and add dac support by myself or write completely new fw (can barely do turn leds on and off on smt32, lol). The last option which I would like to avoid altogether is change from aasd to something else but I would rather not rebuild the whole system. In the beginning I spent a month trying to make the VESC controller work without success until the board just quit and blew itself. Not again, thanks.

What do you suggest and why? What other options do I have?