1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Ibt2 with 24v?

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Building Q&A / FAQ' started by xFFBx Tearier, Dec 6, 2023.

1. xFFBx Tearier

xFFBx Tearier ffb Tearier

Balance:
    122Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, Arduino
    Just got two 24v 250w 75rm wheelchair motors in the mail. I pre built a test rig with a 24v 43a 1000w psu, arduino uno, and ibt2 BTS 7960. Both motors work great with SMC3Utils!
    But now I’m seeing posts that the ibt2s burn up at anything over 19v.
    Am I going to burn these up? Should I go with a different motor controller? If so, what controller, and will it be a similar experience setting them up as the ibt2s?
    Side note: tried to adjust voltage on psu, only lowers to about 23 volts.
  2. Yeti86

Yeti86 New Member

Balance:
    132Coins
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    the datasheet of mine specify 5,5 V to 27 V, the more important thing is the amps, according to the product page 43a.

however, i would highly suggest you run them with a active fan, i've read that you will burn them up if not cooled.
    i printed myself standoffs that have mounting points for fans, and got myself 40mm fan's that run on 24v, directly connected to the power in on the h-bridge, see the pic attached, you'll find the stl's on thingyverse for 3d printing.

i would make sure the cables are sized corectly (like the same diameter as those that come with the motor), make sure the connections have good contact, active cooling, and you'll be fine.

Attached Files:

3. xFFBx Tearier

xFFBx Tearier ffb Tearier

Balance:
    122Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, Arduino
    sweet, thank you so much for the reply and Information. Have you used yours yet? How’s it going?
  4. Yeti86

Yeti86 New Member

Balance:
    132Coins
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    it works good , i have to fine tune the bridges a bit, i got some jitter, and i am not yet sure if its a feedback loop from the hall sensor or if the setting are not quite spot on - but it gets the job done, and under load there is no problem. also happy to report it carries my 130kg good up and down, even if not perfectly balanced.

i'm more running into problem on the software side, simtools 3 does not like il-2 it seams, which was THE reason i build it,

and flypt move just really hard to configure for me

good luck ^^

ps. i attached the poti directly to the shaft, it would be a good idea to 3d print the adapter in 3 parts: one goes over the poti, one goes over the m8 thread, and a sleeve with a tightening screw that clamps the two together. that way, you can reposition the axies, plus if you got like me jitter- at the neutral position (position that will the motor turn to, when started up), you can slightly adjust the poti. it does not turn the motor noticable, but it's enough that the controller does not try to microadjust the position the whole time. that reduces stress on the h-bridge and motor
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2023
  5. nnelsonn

nnelsonn New Member

Balance:
    307Coins
    Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor
    becaue of the voltage: you can set PWMmax (in SMC3) for example to 200 or lower. this would back up the IBTs

Simtools3 like the IBTs without issues

because of the jitter, play with the deadzone in SMC3. Or with PID, but that is not so easy
  6. Kevinski

Kevinski If it doesn't fit, hit it until it does.

Jack of many trades, mastering some.
    Balance:
    315Coins
    Ratings:
    +72 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform
    20240106_165543[1].jpg 20240106_165602[1].jpg I have found thermal pasting them and double heat sinking them (one top and one bottom) so the one heat sink is actually on the chips from above, works great for a passive cooling option. Just be careful not to run your IBT-2's above 20 Fpwm!

They are rated for 25khz max, so select 20khz for safety buffer. You should also only ever run your PWM main power 20% under the maximum PWM available. So in SMC3 that's 255, so take 20% off that and don't exceed that with IBT-2's and you won't cook them. If you have noticed them getting warm to hot (apart from a possible flawed platform design stressing them) check those parameters and adjust accordingly.
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2024
  7. luu trung

luu trung Member

Balance:
    144Coins
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF
    I changed a 200k potentiometer to adjust to 19v