1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

6DOF Project, design considerations

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by Aerosmith, Jul 29, 2024.

1. Aerosmith

Aerosmith Member

self employed
    Balance:
    515Coins
    Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, AC motor
    You've probably noticed that we are currently working on a 3DOF motion platform. But you also surely know the effect that while you're building you learn new things and get new ideas. And of course, everybody always wants more... So I'm already planning the next project. I'd like to share my thoughts and ideas but I don't know if anybody is willing to join the discussion. If not you can see this as kind of theoretical BLOG which may or may not turn into an implementation in the real world, later.

As with every DIY project lots of decisions have to be made. So let's start with the first one: The main purpose will be helicopter flight simulation. I have full respect for the car race simulation community. It can surely be fun if you're adicted to motor sports but I personaly find surface vehicles boring. If you have ~$10,000 to spent for a motion rig you could also buy a used sports car and drive it in the real world. However, I flew (as passenger) in a small helicopter once in my life during my military time and I'll never forget that.

So I think I'd need at least 4DOF (heave, roll, pitch, yaw) to get a realistic feeling and the difference in cost and work is not far away from a 6DOF rig. It might be actually easier because machining 6 times identical parts is less complicated than to make different parts for a 4DOF rig.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Aerosmith

Aerosmith Member

self employed
    Balance:
    515Coins
    Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, AC motor
    Next question: VR goggles vs. "touch and feel" cockpit?
    VR pros:
    • gives an amazingly realistic feeling
    • saves cost, work and cabling for control gadgets
    • cheaper than multiple wide screen TVs or beamers
    • easy to change to different models or completely different types of vehicles
    • "open frame" rig sufficient
    Cons:
    • no haptic feedback, controls (apart from stick/yoke) are difficult to find
    • can cause motion sickness if head vs. rig movement is not properly compensated
    Although the pros outnumber the cons I personally tend to the "real cockpit" solution. I find it very frustrating and distracting having to reach for a switch with a "space mouse" multiple ties until I finally manage to hit it. Second, building a replica of a real cockpit can also be satisfactory work.
    Of course, building a real cockpit means that I ideally have to close every gap so the pilot can't see anything of the outside world. The ultimate solution would be to use a 180° screen and 3 beamers :grin(Absolutely amazing @GRAP !) But that's beyond my space & money budget.:(
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Aerosmith

Aerosmith Member

self employed
    Balance:
    515Coins
    Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, AC motor
    There are different ways to attach the actors to the cockpit.
    6DOF_actor-arrange.png
    Commercial simulators often use the "overhead" arrangement (top left). The cockpit sits completely on top of the actator plane. This requires more vertical space but allows more surge and sway movement for a given actuator stroke. DIY rigs usually use an arrangement where the actuators are horizontally further away from the center (topp right picture). I don't know the exat reason but I guess one of them is to avoid requiring a ladder to mount the rig.:D The disadvantage is that yopu need more actuator stroke to achieve the same roll and pitch angles and it limits the horizontal movement and also roll&pitch angle. Horizontal spacers/struts have to be added to avoid that the actuator rods hit the nacelle (bottom picture). This requires even more space and actuator stroke.
    Example for DIY rig: @PMVCDA
    Example for commercial rig: Delft university
  4. Gadget999

Gadget999 Well-Known Member

Balance:
    11,814Coins
    Ratings:
    +471 / 9 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino, 6DOF
    My advice is build the 6dof

You will always wish you had done it when the 4dof is finished.

The cost of 2x actuators will be insignificant over time
  5. GRAP

GRAP Member

Dog handler, Maitre chien
    Balance:
    147Coins
    Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    Hello

180 screen requires 2 projectors with short focal length.
    I have 3 because it's a 180 with 1 more straight meter on each side. It's a horseshoe so I can see the sides all the way to the wings. It's easier than making a total curve of 240.
    If you really have a lot of space, you can project onto a 360 sphere and have a visual of everywhere.

yes, a 6DOF is longer but not harder to build than a 4DOF because there is only 1 simple base and 1 platform to build.
  6. Aerosmith

Aerosmith Member

self employed
    Balance:
    515Coins
    Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, AC motor
    Thanks for the hints but as I said I don't have the room for such a big screen. The whole rig has to fit in half a garage which is my biggest limitation (apart from the money and my wife complaining:roll). The ceiling is only 2,5m high. If I can build the cockpit no higher than 1,5m that leaves 0,5m above and below it which is more than enough for heave. But if the screen is protruding far out it will hit the ceiling when pitching up.

I think I have to do some "simulation of the simulation" by building a cardboard model or by drawing everything in the 3D CAD. Would be a waste of money if I buy 6 actuators and then find out that they don't fit.
  7. Gadget999

Balance:
    11,814Coins
    Ratings:
    +471 / 9 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:

what projectors do you use ? what sort of costs are they ?
  8. GRAP

GRAP Member

Balance:
    147Coins
    Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    I bought the BenQ TH671ST DLP full HD 1920X1080 short focal and 1 zoom
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Gadget999

Balance:
    11,814Coins
    Ratings:
    +471 / 9 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    thats a neat projector :)

do you have any pics / video of it running ? - what do you use for the projector screen ?

is there any noticeable delay in the image ?

Regards
  10. GRAP

GRAP Member

Balance:
    147Coins
    Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    Delay it s one game beamer, 19 ms, so it s good.
    i m still in test. i just fisish the actuators last week.

screen ?
    simple bed sheet to make the curve with a circle at the top and bottom.
    I'm going to look at a soft plastic to make it better.

my simulation is in the dining room and everything has to be dismantled with just 1 person.

with the 3 projectors, I can use FS2020 fully in the options. 4080 super graphic cards

I just have 2 or 3 test photos. I use fly elise program to display the curved image.

Attached Files:

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. Gadget999

Balance:
    11,814Coins
    Ratings:
    +471 / 9 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Thats a cool idea ! Very easy to pack away. I bet its good for browsing the web too !

I use my sim mostly for driving sims, not sure if 19ms would be noticable ?
  12. Aerosmith

Aerosmith Member

self employed
    Balance:
    515Coins
    Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, AC motor
    OK, back on the original topic. I still have to find out step by step
    1. what are the dimensions of my cockpit
    2. how much movement is possible without hitting the ceiling (simultanous heave and pitch up with a big screen in the front is the critical limitation)
    3. what arrangement do I choose for the actuators
    4. how much stroke do I need
    #1 should be easy. I'll buy the seats, put them on a beer crate or something, and check the comfortable position of the pedals. I've found a good writeup for #3 and #4. It was quite hard to find on page 10 of the DIY actuator thread. Don't know why it's not sticky. Maybe most of the forum members (including myself) are not very comfortable doing math and theoretical analysis. I think it's still better to build a model from LEGO bricks or wood and cardboard than to draw and animate it in the CAD.
    I've collected some pneumatic cylinders to use them as "model actuators". I mean, just as passive linear bearings to support the model rig and as visualization.
  13. Aerosmith

Aerosmith Member

self employed
    Balance:
    515Coins
    Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, AC motor
    Wow, I just googled "fly elise". That really looks interesting. As I said, I fear I don't have enough space for a full 180° screen and 3 projectors. But something like the Cobra Venom could be possible. IIRC, "fly elise" is also mentioned there (see thread by @peter stolmeier).
    Is the software for correcting the distortion of the curved screen and the blending of the overlapping areas affordable?
  14. GRAP

GRAP Member

Balance:
    147Coins
    Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    For 180 screen, you need 2 projectors.

Yes, fly elise is to project on any curves or 1 full sphere if you have enough place.
    fly elise does the job but the automatic setup with webcam didnt work so i did the setup by hand. The price with usb key is little too much ...500e ... and update is for 2 years only . I find only this so no choice.