1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

997 Motor for FFB

Discussion in 'Electronic and hardware generally' started by the_red_pill, Feb 19, 2023.

1. the_red_pill

the_red_pill Pryvit!

3r Rock from the Sun/Africa/Namibia/Windhoek
    Balance:
    81Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino
    Hi everyone,
    I'm new to simming and trying to learn all I can so I can put together a decent wheel for my boys. I don't know much about electronics, but I've been getting up to speed lately because of this personal project..

I've got a low starting budget and I've been comparing motors, however, there is still much I don't know, so I humbly ask if you guys can assist me in making this choice.

I'm looking at the 997/brushed in a high-end/single-motor, belt-driven setup. The specs are at:
    https://shorturl.at/ouxOV

Torque: Max.26kg/cm (2.5Nm, if my calculations are correct)
    Voltage: DC 12-36V
    No load Speed: 3000-18000RPM (depending on type of motor)
    Output Power: 60-400W

I have the following readily available, so I'm trying to build around this:
    - BTS7960 / VNH2SP30
    - Arduinio Leo clone
    - 11" Steering wheel
    - AS56000 Magnetic rotary position sensor/Encoder (Hmmm... yeah...)

Is this a good little motor, or do you suggest something else?
    Another question is what encoder do you guys recommend with this and what ratio am I looking at, for 200RPM?

In terms of supporting materials(3d printed, vs "plastic", vs aluminium[5cm vs 10cm])- do they have any noticeable impact on heat dissipation/movement, vibration (I want to transfer as much as possible to the output), longevity in this type of application, etc? Is it worth taking the time and effort on selecting these?

Thank you for taking the time to listen to me...
  2. the_red_pill

the_red_pill Pryvit!

Balance:
    81Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino
    I forgot to add- I've got a 12V/54.4A/670W PSU that I salvaged from a Dell PowerEdge.
  3. SeatTime

SeatTime Well-Known Member

Retired
    Balance:
    28,370Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,844 / 39 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    AC motor, Motion platform
    IMO, recommend you look for a second hand FFB wheel ..G27 Etc, as it's notoriously hard to get these DIY brushed motor wheels to work well.
  4. the_red_pill

the_red_pill Pryvit!

Balance:
    81Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino
    Thanks.
    It's a project that I've set my mind on though. If it works, it works. If I fail- it's still going to be fun, and I can still buy the wheel. I'll prolly just have to go sit in a corner for a while and think about what I've just done! :)
    I've already learned so much of what I always wanted to know already, and that's worth... "a bit" if you ask me.

In any case, I've been looking at other motors also (XD-3420 in this case) and trying to work out things like RPM, ratios, torque (never knew much about this stuff, btw) etc..
    If you would be so kind as to see if my understanding and calculations are correct or if I'm missing something somewhere?
    The following is taking into account 2 * XD-3420 /12V /3500RPM:

Assuming I'm looking at 280RPM at the wheel, I'm seeing:
    3500RPM * 2 = 7000RPM / 280RPM = 25 (pulley ratio of 1:5:1:5 ?)

Then: 0.24Nm * 2 = 0.48Nm * 25 = 12Nm of torque at the wheel?

Does it make sense?

Thanks again mate!
  5. the_red_pill

the_red_pill Pryvit!

Balance:
    81Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino
    Not much traction or feedback on this thread and the questions, so before it dies a slow painful death, I'm updating it(I'm not sure if the title can be modified..) and I've decided to base my build around a humble 895 motor.

• Applicable voltage: 12-24V
    • RPM: 3000 - 10000
    • Torque: 0.45NM
    • Output Power: 180W - 300W
    • Starting current: 12A
    • No load current: about 1.5A
    • Working current: 7-12A
    • Continuous Current(A): 10-20A

I'll be running it at 12V, using one of my existing dell server PSUs (I've downscaled to the "smallest", a 670W, 54A) since that's what I have- I'm not a rich man, I don't have money- so suck it. Maybe.. there is a possibility of a 24V PSU... but I'd rather not bet on that. Those things are hella expensive.

This would give me 180W of power - a bit of heat, but not too much.. and an RPM of 3000
    I'm still deciding on my pulley ratios... I can either go for:

• 1:3:1:4 = 1:12
    • 1:3:1:5 = 1:15

This should give me an RPM of 250 or 200 at the wheel and 5.4Nm and 6.75Nm respectively.

Obviously, I'm trying to eke out every bit of torque, but I'm aware there needs to be a balance or else that thing isn't going to last long, so- and this is my question for those "ITK"- what's the preferred way of going about this?

Should I aim for a higher RPM atw, and scale it down via software(I do not have a clue what the software does or what options there are), or aim to bring it right down to 200RPM atw- straight off the bat?
    Will I be sorry about this decision in the future?

I do have plans to move this to the general In-Progress thread once I've gotten everything together, but for now... here we are.

I thank you!
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2023
  6. the_red_pill

the_red_pill Pryvit!

Balance:
    81Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino
    Guys, come on man... Help a brother out.
    Work with me here. I joined this forum because I thought it would be a place where I can share my project and get feedback and direction.

Anyway, now that I've got that off my chest...

I've gone for a 360PP/R E6B2CWZ6C encoder. If my calculations are correct, I should be getting 1,500 pulses per second with 250RPM atw and 1,200 PP/S for 200RPM, which seems enough- I dunno if an Arduino Leo can make sense of anything higher- that seems like an awful lot of interrupts already.
    Also, it shouldn't put as much strain on my driver- an IBT2.
    I've read a few posts where IBTs are the first to go in setups, so I'm a bit hesitant... but it seems it's perhaps down to the person's own idiocy, and I'm afraid I may join them soon.
    Is that a good driver quality-wise? What's a good alternative then if not? What about the IBT-4?

Regards the encoder- Are there any benefits to going for an encoder with a higher PP/R? Is there a noticeable difference between 360, 600, and 1000- and is it worth the trouble?

What about an STM32? It should be able to handle that easy-peasy, provided the driver can handle it but if I go that route, will I get a noticeably better experience employing a decoder with a higher PP/R rate? I sincerely doubt that, but it's worth asking.

Thank ye...
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2023
  7. azm

azm New Member

Balance:
    34Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    Hi there!

So first of, I haven't yet build any simulator, but we build 2 CNCs and I am using STM32 extensively lately.
    In quite few projects of mine, I am handling interrupts at the 8kHz+ (in some projects up to 22kHz). That is basically reading input Digital signal and decoding it. So you should be fine with STM32. Just pay attention to use at least ARM Cortex M4 with 160MHz+ clock frequency. Then you are comfortable ;)

Regards
    Mo