1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Budget Compact 6DOF Universal VR Flight / Racing rig - MSFS, SMC3, FlyPT, Transducers, Controls

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by Ronan Design, Oct 11, 2024 at 22:23.

1. Ronan Design

Ronan Design Roman Design - Custom MSFS Scenery

Web Designer, MSFS Scenery Designer
    Balance:
    1,020Coins
    Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    After enjoying my 2DOF motion simulator for 3 years, I have started building a 6DOF motion simulator. I'm also reworking the encoder/button/switch boxes. If it works out, it will be the next level of immersion, at least for me. The build will be an ultra-low budget, just like my 2DOF. I'm very happy how the wooden frame held on, so I will build the 6DOF frame from wood as well. Top platform will be cut from a very thick plywood I have lying around.

I think I have all the parts now. The motors just came today and I tested them on a 12V PSU, they seem to work OK.

This is the project sketch in FlightSim yoke configuration. I'll be using my DIY pendular yoke. The frame will be painted black, but I'm showing a natural wood colour for illustration purposes, so the wooden parts could be easily seen.
    [​IMG]

FlightSim Joystick/HOTAS Configuration
    [​IMG]

Racing/trucking configuration.
    [​IMG]

Note that this is a second priority for me, so it's not designed to be a low-sitting-position F1 racing rig with a limited range but fast movement. As I'm a Flight Simulation fan, I'm aiming for a smooth and precise motion with a reasonably large range to the limit of what a compact design with inexpensive motors can pull off. Racing can be fan, as is Euro Truck Simulator (and ATS), but those are not as important, so as long as the speed of motion is reasonable, I'll be OK.

I just received 6 Yalu wheelchair motors today that will be driving my rig. It's going to be a challenge, but during my research I found at least 2 6DOF rigs that work very well on these motors, so I'm cautiously optimistic. I'm planning to add 2 x 120lb (578N) gas struts to support the weight of the rig so the motors won't have to work that hard. Considering DOF Reality sells 3 x 440N gas struts as an upgrade for their 6DOF, to smooth it out and prevent shaking, I hope those should do the job. I'm considering two, because my rig is expected to be a bit front-heavy, so most of the weight will be there.

Here re the motors: Model MY1016Z, 250W / 24V / 75RPM / 31.2 N.M / 13.4A
    [​IMG]
    • Like Like x 4
  2. Ronan Design

Ronan Design Roman Design - Custom MSFS Scenery

Web Designer, MSFS Scenery Designer
    Balance:
    1,020Coins
    Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    Modding 2 x HP DPS-750RB server power supplies. Disconnecting ground from the outer case prevents shorting when connecting two of those PSUs in series with the unmodified unit to work together as a single 24V 750W PSU. That way I can use 4 of those PSUs that I got for free and have a total of 1500W of power, which is what's needed for 6 x 250W motors.
    [​IMG]
    • Like Like x 1