1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Question DIY triple monitor stand?

Discussion in 'DIY peripherals' started by Nicki9knuckles, Dec 7, 2022.

1. Nicki9knuckles

Nicki9knuckles Active Member

Web Developer
    Balance:
    518Coins
    Ratings:
    +73 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, Motion platform
    Hey, I am finding since changing over to a motion cockpit vs stationary I now need to be really far away from my monitors (which sit on a desk). I dont feel engaged in the game at that distance. I am just looking for advice on how others have solved this?
    I was thinking I could make a triple monitor stange that hangs the monitors over my cockpit in a way that avoids getting knocked. I am not really sure of a design idea for that though. Ideally I would like to make it adjustable somehow.
  2. ChuckyP

ChuckyP Active Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    748Coins
    Ratings:
    +63 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF
    I’ve seen a few setups like this in the link. It allows a lot of placement options and could be made to straddle the sim rig.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Nicki9knuckles

Web Developer
    Balance:
    518Coins
    Ratings:
    +73 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Awesome! That’s a helpful idea. Thanks!
  4. Nicki9knuckles

Web Developer
    Balance:
    518Coins
    Ratings:
    +73 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Richard Ortengren

Richard Ortengren Florida Racing Fan Gold Contributor

Builder
    Balance:
    282Coins
    Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform
    Awesome! I just finished my 55" triple setup with a similar type homemade aluminum stand. Issue I'm trying to figure out is how to attach the monitors to each other to align the corners and close the very minimal bezel gap. Right now I'm using a long quick clamp and some duct tape on the back, but I would really like to find a more elegant solution. Thinking of maybe making a mold of the top and bottom where the monitors come together, scan it and 3D print something I can attach top and bottom and maybe connect the two pieces with an aluminum extrusion or something. How do you plan to deal with the gap?
  6. Richard Ortengren

Builder
    Balance:
    282Coins
    Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Sorry, here's the pic:

upload_2023-1-4_20-31-44.png
  7. Nicki9knuckles

Web Developer
    Balance:
    518Coins
    Ratings:
    +73 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Hmm, I wasn't going to do anything with the edges of the monitors, I just position them in a way so they are line up and the left and right monitors are sort of infront of the bezel edges of the center monitor. So I don't see any space beween each one. Can you show me a photo of the gap? Or maybe a link to a triple screen set up that solves the problem you are trying to solve?
  8. Nicki9knuckles

Web Developer
    Balance:
    518Coins
    Ratings:
    +73 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    haha, you posted it just as I was asking for that haha Thanks
  9. Nicki9knuckles

Web Developer
    Balance:
    518Coins
    Ratings:
    +73 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    @Richard Ortengren with my set up, the arms swing, so I can swing them left or right to close the gap between the monitors. If you are trying to get rid of the bezel all together there are Bezel free kits like this you can use:
  10. Nicki9knuckles

Web Developer
    Balance:
    518Coins
    Ratings:
    +73 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    @Richard Ortengren I notice you have 3 PSU's, I have one and I find it sounds like a hair dryer behind my seat. Do you find that yours makes a lot of noise? I am trying to get a solution for that.
  11. Richard Ortengren

Builder
    Balance:
    282Coins
    Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    So far I've never heard my psu's ever go above idle. I'm running (3) 60A 12V psu's, one to each of the motor controllers. I got them on Amazon for $27 ea.

As far as the bezel gap, it is a function of the size of my panels, they are 55". I have the tvs mounted to .125" vesa steel plates screwed to aluminum 2"X5" rectangle tube but there is still flex in the swing arm hinges and movement in the TV's as they weigh about 33 lbs each. So as a result the bezels look something like this (not mine but a good example)

upload_2023-1-5_9-34-59.png

As I said, right now I have the clamps and duct tape. It works but not pretty. I thought I could just add shims under the outer arm supports and behind the vesa mounts until I get it exact. However, if I move the rig, it goes out of alignment again because the carpet/floor is not perfectly uniform either. I was just thinking it would be good to somehow affix the monitors to each other where they intersect to make the whole job of alignment easier with a triple setup.
  12. Nicki9knuckles

Web Developer
    Balance:
    518Coins
    Ratings:
    +73 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Ah ok, i see now you are already using Vesa mounts (ignore the suggestion in my other comment)
    Yeah the mounts are stong enough for my use because I only have 27inch screens. Your 3d printed idea is probably what I would do if I had access to one.

About the PSU, mine is a 50A ()
    And its just the idling sound that I have as well, but its a very noisy idle, like a high pitched hair dryer. Maybe it's just the way it is with these things but I would love to have a way to make it quiter, or buy one with a large slow rotation fan or something.
  13. Richard Ortengren

Builder
    Balance:
    282Coins
    Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    My 50A psu fans are much quieter than a high pitched hair dryer, even a hair dryer on low would be much louder than they are. In fact the fans on my pc case are louder than the psu fans. Maybe yours is faulty?