1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Question Dual Motor Direct Drive Possible?

Discussion in 'Motor actuators and drivers' started by Stephane86, Sep 27, 2024 at 17:47.

1. Stephane86

Stephane86 New Member

Balance:
    16Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor
    Hi everyone,

I have been wanting to make my own direct drive sim wheel for a little while now and after doing a bit of research, live noticed people using hoverboard brushless DC motors for their choice of force feed back

After looking at many forms pages, the Odesc driver board seems to be the best choice for me as they are offered locally instead of international shipping (Odrive). From what I've read, the odesc v4.2 is a good choice for single motor drive, while the odes V3.6 is designed to control 2 motors.

When looking at the sim racing community, the general consensus is that more torque = better experience, and also other benefits likes less time at peak power ect...

So now I'm asking myself, when I buy a hoverboard, it come with 2 motors, so why not use both? Instead of getting a V4.2 and only use one of the motors, why not put both motors on the same shaft and use a V3.6 to control both motors, thus "roughly" doubling the direct drives torque capabilities. Ive seen people say there might be issues with getting the motors to work in phase with each other, but as long as they arent working against each other, it still be a benefit no?

I have little to no experience in this field so any input or correction would be appreciated.

Thanks.
  2. m50b20

m50b20 Member

Balance:
    70Coins
    Ratings:
    +58 / 1 / -0
    one is more than enough, trust me