1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Question Fixed screens, moving rig, possible?

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Building Q&A / FAQ' started by Aerosmith, Sep 20, 2024 at 09:28.

1. Aerosmith

Aerosmith Active Member

self employed
    Balance:
    630Coins
    Ratings:
    +50 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, AC motor
    The screen arrangement of @GettinBetter has led me to the idea that having the screens fixed to posts on the ground instead of moving together with the rig would solve my problem of hitting the ceiling with the upper edge of the screens when the rig is pitching upward in a room with low ceiling (garage). The bevels between the screens might look a bit disturbing but if we replace the 6 screens with two or three projectors like @GRAP did here we get a nice 180° curved screen with no bevels. This could even result in a better immersion because the canvas is further away from the pilot's eyes so the focus plane is behind the windscreen. This means that if you stretch your neck you can actually see more area on the ground instead of just the same screen from a different angle.

However, this leads to the question if this is possible at all. I mean is there an option in the flight simulator software so select this kind of view arrangement? There is an outside view where the camera is in front of the plane. But I think it always looks in the same direction relative to the ground.

So theoretically, you had to feed the actual rotation of the rig which is the output of FlyPT Mover or SimTools back into the flight simulator software to get the right camera angle. But wait! ... That's exactly what a VR headset is doing. The camera follows your head movement. So technically, this should be possible. But is the software prepared for it? Has anybody tried something like this before?

Edit: rotation has to be inverted. When you roll your head to the left with a VR the picture rotates clockwise. With the rig rolling to the left and stationary screens the horizon needs to rotate counterclockwise.
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2024 at 10:52
  2. GettinBetter

GettinBetter Magna Merchant Gold Contributor

CAD Engineer
    Balance:
    198Coins
    Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    LOL, I too suffer with lack of headroom, because I have a motorhome in the main part of the building, which I'm in the process of renovating, and so have to build the flight sim in an area under the mezzanine flooring.
    @GRAP version was similar to my original plan. I was going to build a frame to take a sheet, but enclose the area behind the sheet and apply negative pressure by way of a fan to suck the sheet into a domed curve. Leaving the fan running I was planning to spray the sheet with a resin to solidify it into something more robust. You'd need at least three projectors, Fly-Elise, and ample height.....I was also worried about ambient light created by the projectors.

I've since seen the options of curved video walls (with modular back boxes that you just clip the front screen onto) and this seems the ideal solution and a growing industry. Not sure about the cost though.

Track IR allows you to turn you head to see any direction around the craft, and the 'outside view' allows you to see all around you. I too am experimenting with these issues.

Interesting times.
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2024 at 11:38