1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

High quality rudder pedals

Discussion in 'DIY peripherals' started by Aerosmith, Sep 19, 2024 at 15:22.

1. Aerosmith

Aerosmith Active Member

self employed
    Balance:
    638Coins
    Ratings:
    +48 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, AC motor
    I got my hands onto a pair of Logitech flight rudder pedals some time ago. Uaaahhh:eek: floppy plastic, feels so terrible I immediately got rid of it. For my helicopter sim project I already bought the stick and collective but I still need the pedals. Here, no brakes are required.
    The DIY pedals on the Cessna sim rig (made by my friend Sven) work quite well but look a bit sketchy. So it might be a good idea to have a solution that fits both (with brakes).

I just saw @smitty 's controls (stick&collective and pedals).:thumbs I think he made the stick all by himself and took a Thrustmaster TPR for the pedals and modified it to add load cells and force feedback. This all looks great and sturdy but I wouldn't feel good ripping apart a brand new Thrustmaster for $550 just to pay another, say $500 for the FFB. And if I need two sets of pedals thats ~$2000. For this money I could justify develpping a complete new design on my own. There's just so much to do. I have to finish the rig, first.

So my idea is to buy a cheaper set of pedals, for example something like the Cammus LC100. Those are meant for car racing but at least it's a full metal construction. I can remove the brake pedal and install a "seesaw" mechanism to couple the left and right pedal together. Then I could add the feedback motor later like smitty did. This would save some work compared to making everything from scratch. Cast metal parts like for the Thrustmaster TPR pedal plates and the reversing levers would be difficult to make in a hobby workshop even with a CNC machine. Some aluminium plates, levers and connecting rods should be no big deal, though.

Question: does the "center of rotation point on top" design of the Thrustmaster have a special advantage? I think the hinge axis on the bottom seems more natural as you usually move your feet around the heel.

Any other suggestions? The Winwing orion also look not that bad.