1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Interesting discussion of center of mass. Cars and motions sims. Motion done right

Discussion in 'Commercial Simulators and Peripherie' started by Trigen, Aug 29, 2024.

1. Trigen

Trigen Active Member

Balance:
    2,842Coins
    Ratings:
    +177 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, DC motor, Arduino

2. cfischer

cfischer Active Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    2,638Coins
    Ratings:
    +254 / 1 / -0
    I really dont like how those guys twist the physics description to their product. (and I'm a huge proponent of rotating about the center of mass of the sim/driver).
    "This is the only way cars move" "All vehicles move xyz center of mass" What a gross manipulation. He talks about objects only rotating about their center of mass. Well that is true when they fly through space. Vehicles can rotate about infinite origins (think different radius turns).

The real issue with that sim(other than cost), is that that it's so floppy the data going to the driver is full of garbage.

Sorry to be negative.
    If you want to read some good information about what's important in a sim, check out ansible's patents.
    https://patents.google.com/patent/US20240149177A1/en?oq=20240149177
    • Useful Useful x 1
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2024
  3. Trigen

Trigen Active Member

Balance:
    2,842Coins
    Ratings:
    +177 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    Im more than happy to learn something new so no worries. Thanks for the link!
  4. Gadget999

Gadget999 Well-Known Member

Balance:
    11,814Coins
    Ratings:
    +472 / 9 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino, 6DOF
    They are using double speak here to confuse

The centre of mass in a car is not the centre of mass in you body

By setting the sim to operate around your cente of mass the actuators do not need to work as hard - but it is still not simulating the centre of mass of a vehicle

You will need to trim the motion profile so what you feel is like driving a car with the centre of mass in the right place and now the motors will have to work harder.

If you drove a perfectly round car and sat in the middle, the centre of mass would be correct !
  5. azm

azm New Member

Balance:
    34Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    There are two "centers" so to say. In airplanes most common denotes as center of mass and center of lift (external forces of your main wings). The latter is never fixed, it changes based on flaps position etc.

And what is important for the dynamic of the system, is not the "center of mass", but the combination of both centers, amplitudes of forces acting on them. So its not so simple at all.

Similarly in the car, center of gravity and center of externa forces are two different things.

Anyone telling you otherwise, is Scharlatan :D
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Stules

Stules New Member

Balance:
    16Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    4DOF
    Very interesting. Great discussion points brought up as well.
    I see the aircraft/heli issue is that the pilot is nowhere near the center of mass.