1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Joyrider with linear actuators

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Building Q&A / FAQ' started by diz, Mar 3, 2009.

1. diz

diz New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hello,

I'm building a sort of Joyrider clone out of aluminum (wanted a welding project). I still need to complete the foot rest/pedal area, and monitor mount, but am otherwise done with the non-powered moving parts.

Questions, after reading a lot of stuff here:

1. To me, it seems like linear actuators (like those from the buggies site/plans), or the scn5 I found here, would be easier to rig up than the 2DOF pulley system. Any reason people don't seem to have done that on the joyrider?

2. Everything I see here is centered around electricity. By the time you buy all of the motors, power supplies, etc, it almost seems to me like you could go with two hydraulic rams and a single pump with a two valves. Am I way off base here?

Thanks!
  2. diz

diz New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Here's what I'm working on, by the way.

Attached Files:

3. tronicgr

tronicgr

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi diz,

Nice frame there! Since you can weld yourself you could made an easier exit:

Alu-frame.gif

About your questions:

1. Ian's DIY actuator working principle is very close to the one I used on my joyrider expept that he added an extending rod. This kind of actuator needs a workshop to be made with access to expensive machinery. Not for home made laboratory... The SCN5 are too weak to drive the joyrider in IMHO. They can provide only 10kgf !!!

2. Hydraulics are a little dangerous for home use. They can leak high pressure oil if malfunction... And proportional (analog) valves would be way too expensive to use comparing to the simple electronics we use for the DC motors!

3. oups no three... :lol:

Thanos
  4. diz

diz New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Look at that, you stole my design! :)

Yeah it's going to be tough to get in and out of the thing. And I think I made it too big. Thought it's fairly light, there's still more moving mass than necessary. We'll see what we can do in V2.

I see your point about the hydraulics. Have not priced that stuff out, but clearly would not want an accident with oil at 2000psi in my basement.

Thanks!