1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

New linear actuator design

Discussion in 'Motor actuators and drivers' started by Aerosmith, Aug 19, 2024.

1. Aerosmith

Aerosmith Member

self employed
    Balance:
    576Coins
    Ratings:
    +42 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, AC motor
    Browsing the forum I've seen quite a lot of commercial and DIY linear actuators. Most of them use similar configurations of a ball screw and a hollow push rod with linear bearings. (Source: this thread)
    [​IMG]
    The advantages are that it's relatively straightforward and easy to build. However, if the motor is big the ratio of usable stroke to total length is not very good. This could be improved by mounting the motor on the side of the aluminium extrusions and replacing the shaft coupling with a timing belt drive. This led to another idea. How about using the ball screw itself as push rod and drive the ball nut instead of the spindle.
    Actuator.png This results in the total length (retracted) to be only slightly above the stroke plus the rotating nut assembly. The drawback is that true universal joints are required, now, because they have to transmit the torque and simple ball joints do no longer work.
    My U-joints look more complex than they actually are. I just designed them in a way to use as much equal parts as possible that can be machined from aluminium sheet.
    U-Joint2.png
    I don't have a 5-axis CNC machine and 3D machining a plate from one side only is a lot easier than taking a big block of solid metal and remove 80..90% of it as chips.
    I don't really know yet if this is going to work. Maybe there will be problems with the spindle wobbling due to too much runout of the rotating nut. I've checked that buckling (Euler) is not a problem. A 20mm diameter spindle with 500mm stroke theoretically can take >50kN of push force before failing. I'll buy a spindle and try it out. If it doesn't work I can still convert into a rotating spindle and linearly moving nut configuration.
  2. Klaus Schmidinger

Klaus Schmidinger Member

Balance:
    364Coins
    Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    AC motor, Motion platform, 6DOF
    Interesting approach. Possible problems I see:
    - the (open) spindle is most likely greasy and could collect dirt, which could end up in the ball screw
    - since the motor is not at the lower end of the actuator, its weight adds to the mass that needs to be moved around (horizontally)
  3. Aerosmith

Aerosmith Member

self employed
    Balance:
    576Coins
    Ratings:
    +42 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, AC motor
    The ball nuts have wipers so bigger particles should stay out. But of course, dry slider bearings like the IGUS bushings collect less dust, that's right.
    The static weight of the motors and the power required to move the motor as the actuator changes angle position doesn't matter much as it moves with a much lower speed as the push rod. But the mass/spring system of the motor together with the slightly bending ball screw could cause problems when vibrations hit a resonant frequency.
    Difficult to say if that will really be a problem. I have to try it out.
  4. Aerosmith

Aerosmith Member

self employed
    Balance:
    576Coins
    Ratings:
    +42 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, AC motor
    On the other hand... I've seen actuators with multiple very thin push rods like in this and this video. They look so weak that I thought they would self destruct easily. But it seems they work without problems. So I'm not worried much about my design with the motor mass in the middle. Time will tell.
  5. adgun

adgun Active Member

mechanic
    Balance:
    5,638Coins
    Ratings:
    +131 / 3 / -0
    you could get problems when the nuth is not balanced out
  6. Aerosmith

Aerosmith Member

self employed
    Balance:
    576Coins
    Ratings:
    +42 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, AC motor
    @Klaus Schmidinger : I just saw your rig:
    [​IMG]
    Were this the motors I have bought from you? The actuators also look nice and solid. If my design doesn't prove itself so well I can re-use the ball screws and build it like that.
    I also like the idea to make the universal joints out of a fixed spindle bearing and an additional hinge. I had a similar idea but discarded it quickly because I had worries about the pole/singularity point when the angle get's close to 180°. But rotating the axis of the bearings into the XY plane avoids this problem quite cleverly.
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2024
  7. Aerosmith

Aerosmith Member

self employed
    Balance:
    576Coins
    Ratings:
    +42 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, AC motor
    I don't think that imbalance (COG outside rotation axis) is a big problem. I use 20mm pitch so the nut only rotates at 1500RPM max. All ball nuts I recently saw don't have external return tubes for the balls but small plastic deflection bits. There shouldn't be much imbalance. But of course, if there is excentrity (ball screw axis not equal to rotation axis) the screw will stagger and wobble .
    • Like Like x 1
  8. cfischer

cfischer Active Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    2,638Coins
    Ratings:
    +254 / 1 / -0
    20mm pitch is a good move IMO.
    Maybe use this project for some inspiration.

9. Aerosmith

Aerosmith Member

self employed
    Balance:
    576Coins
    Ratings:
    +42 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, AC motor
    @cfischer Ah, interesting. One thing that came to my mind: At the CNC router you don't have any yaw movement. This would have no effect at all since the tool spindle is spinning around the vertical axis, anyway. But this is different for a simulator. Yaw introduces an error because the ball screws are attached to the rig. The error is small, though. 18° = 1/20 revolution yaw gives 1mm push/pull at the ball screws with 20mm pitch. This could be compensated in FlyPT Mover by adding a yaw component to the position of each actuator. I don't know if you would feel a difference.
  10. Aerosmith

Aerosmith Member

self employed
    Balance:
    576Coins
    Ratings:
    +42 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, AC motor
    The LinuxCNC hexapod also shows the problem with the U-joints quite clearly. This is the classical U-joint configuration. The bearing axes cross each other in a plane orthogonal to the rotation axis when the joint is straight (180°).
    UJoint-std.jpg
    This gives the best torque transmission and least backlash near the straight angle and works well up to 45° deflection or a little more.
    For the CNC router they have choosen this configuration:
    UJoint-bad.jpg
    It has one bearing with a vertical axis and an additional "hinge" with a horizontal axis. This causes problems because there is a singularity when the hinge is at 180° (pushrod at 180°, exactly orthogonal to the pod plane). Then the angle of the vertical bearing is under-determined and the hinge is over-determined. This can cause excessive bending force and break the hinge.
    UJoint-good.jpg
    This is much better. The rod of the actuator always goes downward so it can never reach the singularity which in this case would be horizontally.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Klaus Schmidinger

Klaus Schmidinger Member

Balance:
    364Coins
    Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    AC motor, Motion platform, 6DOF
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. Aerosmith

Aerosmith Member

self employed
    Balance:
    576Coins
    Ratings:
    +42 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, AC motor
    I checked @Dirty 's design, it looks really well! He also gets a fairly good stroke to overall length ratio. If I calculated correctly his should be around 630mm stroke to 890mm total length (without U-joints). Mine is 510mm stroke to 630mm total (without U-joints) or 708mm from center to center of the U-joints. Thats around 71% (Dirty) compared to 81% (mine). Not much difference. A Festo cylinder with 160mm stroke has ~240mm length. That's only 66%.
  13. Dirty

Dirty Well-Known Member Gold Contributor

All the way up front.
    Balance:
    7,886Coins
    Ratings:
    +875 / 3 / -0
    Hi @Aerosmith ,
    nice to see that you calculated the stroke ratio (stroke/overall length) for your designs. I find that is a parameter not to be overlooked. I have simulated many different rig configurations in software (rig-o-meter) and found that this ratio is quite telling. Often times I see people aiming for as much stroke as possible (nothing inherently wrong with that!) but simply going with longer and ever-longer ballscrews will only get diminishing returns. Eventually the problems will outgrow the benefits.
    I find it almost equally important to reduce the overall length and remove "dead space" from the design. If I was given the choice between 600mm stroke out of a 1000mm actuator vs. 550mm stroke out of a 900mm actuator, I would choose the latter. Even though on paper it has less stroke.
    And I also usually consider the effective overall length (including U-Joints, measured from center-of-joint to center-of-joint).
    Happy building..... and designing :-D

Cheers... Dirty :)
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Aerosmith

Aerosmith Member

self employed
    Balance:
    576Coins
    Ratings:
    +42 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, AC motor
    Unboxing time :grin the spindles and bearings I ordered have arrived
    6909Z-bearings.jpg SFE2020-spindles.jpg Ujoint-Xbearings.jpg
    Now, I have to order the aluminium tubes and machine the other parts.
    • Like Like x 2
  15. Aerosmith

Aerosmith Member

self employed
    Balance:
    576Coins
    Ratings:
    +42 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, AC motor
    I've just did a quick check of the ball spindles and nuts. I have to admit that I gambled and took the cheapest spindles I could get. I payed around $350 for 6 spindles and 12 ball nuts including shipping. I expected to get reaally crappy quality but after all it's not as bad as I expected.
    With support bearings at both ends I measured around 50µm runout at the center of the spindle which should have no negative effect since the spindles don't turn in my actuators. I checked two of the nuts and one is nearly perfectly balanced. The other has ~20µm runout (mismatch of spindle axis to outer cylinder axis of the nut). This can cause some vibrations when rotating fast but should be acceptable. Axial backlash is around 20 to 30µm which would render them useless for high precision CNC applications but doesn't matter at all for simulator rigs.
  16. Aerosmith

Aerosmith Member

self employed
    Balance:
    576Coins
    Ratings:
    +42 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, AC motor
    Today, I've machined the first parts.
    Actuator_parts1.jpg Actuator_parts2.jpg Actuator_parts3.jpg Actuator_parts4.jpg
    Bearing flanges for the rotating ball nuts and the yoke side-parts for the U-joints. Took quite a while to get the tight fits for the bearings right.
    • Like Like x 4
  17. Aerosmith

Aerosmith Member

self employed
    Balance:
    576Coins
    Ratings:
    +42 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, AC motor
    Some more parts machined...
    UJoint-base.jpg
    Wow, I wasted a whole 4kg bar of 20mm aluminium, ruined a 8mm TC cutter and produced a bucket full of chips just to get some spacers and connecting parts of less than a pound.