1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Print in 3D 1605 ballnut with Igus filament I-150 or I-190

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Building Q&A / FAQ' started by gigi, Jan 30, 2024.

1. gigi

gigi Active Member

Balance:
    904Coins
    Ratings:
    +139 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, JRK, 4DOF
    Good morning everyone. I followed with great interest Volker Krebs' project published on YouTube here
    In particular, I am fascinated by the use of 3D printed ballnuts using Igus I-150 and I-190 filaments. Unfortunately I am unable to contact Volker Krebs to ask him for more information. Looking at the videos, however, it seems that the ballnut is very robust, precise and smooth, especially when using the I-190 filament. I know Igus products, I purchased the linear beraings on their site (I have never tried their Chinese clones) and I also saw that as regards the filaments they also provide the settings for the printer I use (Prusa MK4). So I'd like to try to make some sliders that have threads compatible with my 1605 C5 screws. The problem is that I don't know where to find the CAD for this thread. Furthermore, if I understand correctly, in the comments on the videos Volker Krebs talks about screws that are ground and not rolled as they are more precise. The problem in this case is that, as you certainly know, rectified VTIs cost at least 5 or 6 times more than rolled ones. What I ask of you is: 1) could you tell me where I can find the CAD of the 1605 C5 screw thread? 2) do you think that by being able to precisely print the ball nuts for rolled screws you can obtain a good result? Have any of you tried?
    Thanks fo your support
    gigi
    • Like Like x 1
  2. harrie

harrie Member

Balance:
    221Coins
    Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Arduino, 4DOF
    this topic brings me a new idee /option ? i got made/ in the past , cnc machines with 1605/2004 trapezium tread bal nut . did make the balnuts out of pom c material . they did hold up good , got the tool for making nuts still here , i believe also got the 20mm tool for it . must look into it , i,m also looking into making accurator system , and maybe i wil give this a try . trapezium tread 1605 pro mtr is verry cheap , about 15 euro 1 mtr. got lots of it here .

Attached Files:

3. harrie

harrie Member

Balance:
    221Coins
    Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Arduino, 4DOF
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. gigi

gigi Active Member

Balance:
    904Coins
    Ratings:
    +139 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, JRK, 4DOF
    Hi Harrie! Thanks for your support
    I've just download the file and I will try to print in high quality with Prusa MK4 using Nylon filament,
    I'm curious to see the result. If it is satisfactory I will buy a spool of Igus I-190 filament and try to make the slider
  5. harrie

harrie Member

Balance:
    221Coins
    Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Arduino, 4DOF
    im printing it in alu . not just the color but 20% real alu , i use this alot , verry strong , behavior is much differend then pla/abs/petg/nylon . ...whe wil see what the result is , i let you know .

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  6. gigi

gigi Active Member

Balance:
    904Coins
    Ratings:
    +139 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, JRK, 4DOF
    Are you sure it's a good idea to print the snail with a filament containing aluminum? The main characteristic of the snail is that of being as smooth and silent as possible. For this reason, from my point of view, the suitable material must be self-lubricating, for example nylon or pom. Any material can be suitable for the test, even if not resistant but certainly not an abrasive material or one that creates friction Tonight I tried to print the snail with nylon (Esun epa-natural) simply by converting the file you linked but without modifying it by adding tolerances or anything else. Unfortunately the thread seems too tight and doesn't even screw in, I have to work on the file to give it the right tolerance
  7. harrie

harrie Member

Balance:
    221Coins
    Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Arduino, 4DOF
    yes , i also had a tight fit , the alu printing is just for testing.. in first place i make a sfx-100 with the trapezium and pom c nut . in the past getting good results with it for driving cnc machines with it . i got 5 axis cnc machine here ad home with toolchanger , so i wil making al the parts from pom-c . with alu 80x80 construction .
  8. harrie

harrie Member

Balance:
    221Coins
    Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Arduino, 4DOF
    did print and assembled some parts , waiting for the alu profiels .. 1605 trapezium, pom-c ballnuts IMG_20240206_105333.jpg IMG_20240206_110725.jpg
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Tintin Boulsard

Tintin Boulsard Member

Balance:
    152Coins
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, Arduino
    Hello,
    I recently built SFX100 actuators but using a 80×80 aluminum profile. I had to modify the slider, so instead of using the original metal ballnut and a 3D printed slider, I combined the two in one : a 3D printed slider including a SFU1605 thread, in PLA. It is really solid if you print it with more than 50% infill.
    Here is the link.

Best regards,
    Tintin Boulsard
  10. harrie

harrie Member

Balance:
    221Coins
    Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Arduino, 4DOF
    i did made pom-c ballnut trapezium ..trapezium tread rod is left over from a project , ball nuts i did made home because i got the tool for it ..in the pic above is the test stl fx100 slider . i,m now printing the fx80 slider , got a sketch for arduino 2560 for my steppenmotors , got everything ready to wire up and assemble the actuators and test it . i see no problem with it , because i build cnc machines this way .. trapezium and pom-c nut ..the rig and myself is about 120 kilo total , 4 x 12 nm steppenmotors wil do the job . when actuator is ready and working i will post a movie clip here .. alu profiel i did orderd 300mm lengte ..actuator wil be about 180mm travel . next problem is adding some home position swich onto it . and writhe it in the arduino sketch .
    got any pic from the setup complete ?