1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Questions for simulator with 3 actuators

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Building Q&A / FAQ' started by degrancanaria, Mar 12, 2009.

1. degrancanaria

degrancanaria Member

Balance:
    9Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hello all,

I'm David from Canary Isalnds, Spain.

I'm new in X-Sim forum and I have to say that it is an excellent site. :clap:

My idea is to build a motion simulator for racing using SCN5 actuators.
    But I would like to build it with three actuators to simulate 3 axis. I have not seen information about this in forum.

Two actuactors are used like a 2D simulator and third actuator is located in horizontal position such the seat is moved from left to right and viceverse. I have attached a simple figure (it is not scale).

I have a pair of questions:

Does Force-sender and force-profiler software support three actuators?
    Are plugin uploaded (for GTR2, GTR Evolution and rFactor) compatible with 3 actuators?

Regards,
    David

Attached Files:

• sim.jpg
      sim.jpg
      File size:
      11 KB
      Views:
  2. bvillersjr

bvillersjr Active Member

Balance:
    437Coins
    Ratings:
    +23 / 1 / -0
    To answer your questions about the X-Sim software, yes it has the capabilities that you mentioned. However, if I understand what you are trying to accomplish properly, then I do not think that the SCN5 would work for your additional axis. A single SCN5 canot move the entire weight if the occupant and framework from left to right without a very creative ball-bearing based track mechanism. Technical detai9ls aside for a moment, why would you want to do this? What additional g-force will you be simulating and how much travel would you intend to use to create this effect? Remember that whatever this travel is, it would be in addition to the existing left/right movements and will probably result in an uncomfortable drive since it will pull you away from the wheel/pedals in an unrealistic fashion.
  3. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +8 / 1 / -0
    Huh...where is the wheel...has been in front of me just a sec ago...where is it now... :lol:
  4. degrancanaria

degrancanaria Member

Balance:
    9Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi again,

thanks for your answers.
    I would like to simulate drift. Two actuators are right to simulate lateral forces. But I think when you made drift, the lateral forces can be improved with a lateral movement.

Perhaps, I have not explained well my idea. :(
    Therefore, I have painted a new figure, a little better that previous.

I explain it:

There is an internal base which is composed by seat, monitor, pedals, joystick and two actuators. All in one set. It is similar to x-sim simulator (MR. Burns and other). This internal base has a pair of wheel at rear, and in the middle (aproximately, it is not determinated) there is a rotation base where internal base is put.

Rotation base is fixed to an external base (it is not completely painted in the figure) and it allows lateral movements. Therefore internal base can rotate over external base and third actuator will move internal base when you drift. Third actuactor is also fixed to external base.

Wheels are used to facilitate the movement and to support internal base.

I hope that my idea is now better explained.

What is your opinion?

Regards,
    David

Attached Files:

• sim.jpg
      sim.jpg
      File size:
      33.8 KB
      Views:
  5. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +8 / 1 / -0
    XSim2 is able to control that 3rd axis without problems.

But just consider that in some situations, if the seat turns fast left for example, while the 3rd (drift) axis is pulling the seat to the right simultaneously, there may be some dangerous additional accellerations applied to the seat, which could cause the actuator rod hitting the end stop and braking the internal drive pin.

Because of that I dont want to give advice on this. If you want to try it out, then go on, but you will do it on your own risk.

Perhaps you should build a common 2axis sim, and later on you can think about a 3rd axis still.

However, if you want to try, then you should use the stronger/slower SCN6 model with 20kg push/pull force.

Regards
  6. bvillersjr

bvillersjr Active Member

Balance:
    437Coins
    Ratings:
    +23 / 1 / -0
    EgoExpress is correct. This would take an SCN6 for sure, and I would suggest 100mm actuators. Since you could use the SCN6's to simulate some of the lateral forces, you would not need the amount of travel offered by an SCN5 150mm.

However, I think that you would need two SCN6 actuators in a push/pull configuration if you plan to move the entire simulator (wheel pod, seat, SCN5 actuators, pedals, large monitor, monitor stand, etc..) quickly enough to simulate lateral forces. I personally believe that an SCN6 is fast enough to properly simulate lateral g-forces such as rapid loss of rear grip, but this has not yet been proven.

Also, please take egoexpress' suggestion and build a normal 2DOF first. You may change your mind once you have some more experience with the existing design and it's ability to simulate lateral g-forces. Drifting is more a matter of rotation than lateral movements anyway. The sensation that you want to create when simulating drifting is the feeling of rear movement with stationary front movement combined with lateral g-forces for wheel hop. I think you will find the current 2DOF design provides adequate lateral g-forces and your additions will not give you the rotational simulation required for drifting.
  7. degrancanaria

degrancanaria Member

Balance:
    9Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi,

thanks to Egoexpress and Bernard for yours comments. I had not thought in SNC6 actuator.

I'm going to think it a bit, and peharps I take egoexpress' suggestion First: Build a common 2axis sim, and later, add a 3rd axis.

Regards,
    David
  8. R-eng

R-eng Member

Balance:
    28Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    It appears you are trying to build something similar to this, and if you watch the videos, you will see the very slight amounts of lateral pivot that is achieved. Is this enough for you to sim drifting? Notice the monitors are not attached, hence less weight for the 3rd (+4th?) actuators to move, but still a lot.

http://www.motorsportsimulators.com/pyt ... llery.html

R-eng
  9. degrancanaria

degrancanaria Member

Balance:
    9Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks R-eng,

Perhaps, it moves very slightly for my expectations, but it is my idea.

Thanks again

Regards,
    David