1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Question Sources for linear slide bearings?

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Building Q&A / FAQ' started by Map63Vette, Jul 12, 2024.

1. Map63Vette

Map63Vette Member

Mechanical Engineer
    Balance:
    463Coins
    Ratings:
    +32 / 0 / -0
    I've been slowly collecting parts to start building the linear actuators for my 6 DOF simulator design, but one of the most expensive parts in the whole setup is the linear slide bearings at the end of the actuator. I know I can get bearing style ones super cheap, but I also know that ball bearings are not going to get along with my plain steel actuator tubes, so I want to run the plastic bushing type bearings instead so they don't wear as bad. That being said, I've only been able to find them through Igus and Misumi currently, and they both want ~$66 per bearing. My whole actuator is only ~$300 each, so that's a pretty big chunk of it and I'm surprised I can't seem to find any other knock offs out there. Are these really the only options for plastic style bearings? It's especially annoying because the liners themselves are only a couple bucks each, it's the housing that is most of that cost. I'm half tempted to try buying ball bearing assemblies cheap on Amazon and knock the bearings out to replace with the liners, but with my luck they won't be the same size. Also seems like I can only find metric housings on Amazon, but I need imperial sizes to go with my tubing choice.
  2. Danny Miller

Danny Miller New Member

Balance:
    24Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    The best materials for strong, rigid, low wear on both sides would be:
    UHMW-PE
    Delrin
    nylon
    Oil-impregnated sintered bronze ("Oillite" TM)
    Graphite-insert bushings

The last 2 are best suited for a precision shaft of stainless steel, chrome-plated steel, or hard-anodized aluminum. They are much lower friction under load, but that's probably not essential.

UHMW-PE is a pretty good choice for a bushing taking ordinary pipe or rod. It's a slick, self-lubricating surface and is essentially unbreakable and highly wear-resistant. But dirt cheap and easy to machine from raw stock on a lathe or mill. You just need sharp tooling and you can make it just the right clearance for whatever rod you have to work with.

UHMW does have a tendency to warp out of shape in heat or under load. But that's not going to occur if it's a thick sleeve between two pipes
    • Informative Informative x 1