1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

[WIP] DIY active pedal by Tristian Fenwick

Discussion in 'DIY peripherals' started by RacingMat, Apr 24, 2023.

1. RacingMat

RacingMat Well-Known Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    20,926Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,088 / 21 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    Hi there :)

Here is a promissing project for DIY active pedals: https://github.com/tjfenwick/DIY-Sim-Racing-Active-Pedal by Tristian Fenwick
    FYI, "active pedal" by SimuCube intends to reproduce any travel and force profiles:
    mainly you can customize pedal travel distance, brake pressure but also brake air gap, ABS shaking... without any screwdriver or wrench. :)

"I built this pedal using a load cell, NEMA 23 Integrated Easy Servo Motor, and Arduino Uno, for a fraction of the cost of the official Simucube pedals. While there are still some issues to address, such as shaky ADS1256 readings and a lack of computing power on the Arduino, I'm really pleased with how it's coming along."

BOM: 250€
    **Some of these parts will be switched out as I only picked them cause I had them laying around
    • 300kg Load Cell $36.69
    • NEMA 23 Integrated Easy Servo Motor 130w ( iSV57T-130 ) $93.93 (Could probably get away with the smaller 90 watt version and cut down on the overall length of the pedal)
    • ADS1256 $17.99
    • 8x 608-2RS Ball Bearing $8.99
    • Tr8x8 Lead Screw with T8 Brass Nut $11.99 (upgrading to a ball screw in the future)
    • 8mm to 8mm Shaft Coupling $9.99
    • Arduino Uno $16.99 (upgrading to a Teensy 4.0 in the future)
    • 2x Micro Limit Switch $5.99
    • DROK 48V Power Supply, AC 110V/220V to DC 0-48V 10A 480W $40.99

In my opinion, the tricky part is the command loop: highest rates needed, lowest noise, telemetry filtering (just like our direct drive wheels)... I wish him a great achievement.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  2. iLLuac4

iLLuac4 Active Member

Balance:
    884Coins
    Ratings:
    +53 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF