1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

DD-Wheel with Hoverboard Motor

Discussion in 'Direct Drive Wheels' started by Benu, Jan 21, 2019.

1. Wayne Thebus

Wayne Thebus Member Gold Contributor

CNC Machinist/Programmer
    Balance:
    163Coins
    Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    I received a braking resistor with my Odesc 4.1 56V, so I just connected it even though it is not required with the battery. But it allows me to switch to a psu if one day I chose to. I believe the battery also give better torque delivery due to the higher amps.... Not sure if this is accurate, I think I read it on a forum somewhere. I'm new to this Direct drive toys! :thumbs
  2. QuinrodD

QuinrodD YawVR1

self employed
    Balance:
    223Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, Motion platform
    Interesting. I am not great with electricity but I am not sure what that resistor is for. The battery pack is 25.6 volt, so if I were to use a 24 volt 15 amp PSU, this would be almost the same voltage and probably higher amps than what the battery delivers? And a resistor basically restricts the amps, if I understand correctly?
  3. Wayne Thebus

CNC Machinist/Programmer
    Balance:
    163Coins
    Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    The resistor get rid of excess current the the motor creates(back EMF) this can potentially damage the drive circuits, that's what it's for. So to be safe, connect it. When you turn motor it act like a generator, creating current that could toast the odrive board, so I suggest to play it safe and add it :thumbs
  4. QuinrodD

QuinrodD YawVR1

self employed
    Balance:
    223Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, Motion platform
    Ah, that makes sense, thanks for the clarification. I will probably go for the battery Option, but instal the 1 Ohm resistor as well, just like you did
  5. Wayne Thebus

CNC Machinist/Programmer
    Balance:
    163Coins
    Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    Do have any video of the YAW in action. What do they cost, and does it take up a lot of space. I built a 3dof a few years ago and the wife constantly nagged that it was in the way
  6. QuinrodD

QuinrodD YawVR1

self employed
    Balance:
    223Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, Motion platform
    No video yet, I only recently bought it used. Maybe once everything is finished. But on YouTube you can find quite a few. I paid only €500 for it, and it was barely used, so a good deal. Price new was around €2500. The system itself is quite small, around 80cm x 150cm, but in order to have full rotation, you need 2meter/7feet or so in a circle. Also, I have the YAW VR 1, which is not being made anymore, they have a new one, which is much improved, but also pricier and takes up more space
  7. Wayne Thebus

CNC Machinist/Programmer
    Balance:
    163Coins
    Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    Wow, that was a great price!
    Have a look at my diy sim rig.....

Not the finished project, just got it running and testing with my nephews, in that video.
  8. QuinrodD

QuinrodD YawVR1

self employed
    Balance:
    223Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, Motion platform
    Looks great, great job! and your older nephew is already very quick. I was thinking about building something along the way of your setup when I stumbled upon the YAW, couldn't have built anything for that price myself, and I also like that it can do the infinite 360 rotations. For racing its not really needed, but for space sims/flying, especially in VR, its great to have. Let me know when you find the time to upload the case files
  9. Jaredmraz

Jaredmraz New Member

Balance:
    47Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino

Hello, I'm testing some things while I get some of the missing components, so in the meantime I'm testing the PPM signal instead but the problem is the noise in it, I don't know how to reduce it, have you dealt with it, how have you resolved it?
  10. tote46

tote46 New Member

Balance:
    23Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    just a quick question, i bought a used hoverboard that came with 2 motors and one motor controller, i've seen some videos of people flashing it with stlink v2 and installing new firmware like (hoverboard firmware hack FOC which has a torque mode)
    Im planning in doing that and then control it with a arduino leonardo. Is it even viable?
    sorry im so late lol
  11. Wayne Thebus

CNC Machinist/Programmer
    Balance:
    163Coins
    Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    Hi
    I struggled with the hoverboard main board, I did manage to get the FOC firmware to flash onto the board, however I didn't get it to work. I chose to use the Chinese clone O drive instead which is literally plug and play compared to the hoverboard main board. I would suggest you follow this route as it is so much easier and cost effective in the long run
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. QuinrodD

QuinrodD YawVR1

self employed
    Balance:
    223Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, Motion platform
    I was wondering the same thing before, as the chip is basically the same as on the odrive. Could you post the links of the implementations that you have seen? I would love to look into that. (Even if it doesnt make much sense as mentioned in the other reply)
  13. Chris_Beeves

Chris_Beeves Active Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    1,910Coins
    Ratings:
    +232 / 3 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform, 4DOF
    The processor on the hoverboard is the same brand but not the same model. The hoverboard one is a Stm32f1 series and the odrive f4 series, so much more power.

Here you can find info on the hoverboard hack:
    https://github.com/EFeru/hoverboard-firmware-hack-FOC

I'm not sure it has been completely written off as an alternative, let us know if you get results!
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. QuinrodD

QuinrodD YawVR1

self employed
    Balance:
    223Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, Motion platform
    Thanks for the link, I will look into it. Probably not deeply, as I do have an odrive and just wanted to use the second motor with the included board. I wasn't aware of the differences in the chip.
  15. tote46

tote46 New Member

Balance:
    23Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    welp, i finally got my hands on my used hoverboard, it seems that its a splitboard so it will be imposible to reuse it. As i cannot get any decent BLDC Driver in my country i was thinking of using 2x IBT_2 (BTS 7960) and control it through a leonardo using pwm (around 5-8khz) what do you guys think about it
  16. Chris_Beeves

Balance:
    1,910Coins
    Ratings:
    +232 / 3 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    There is firmware for the split version too right? You can’t use the ibt’s. You’ll need a proper FOC driver.
  17. tote46

tote46 New Member

Balance:
    23Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    ye i know there are a few firmware that are suitable for these boards but they dont seem to explain a lot of its possible uses or i just dont understand that much lol. Also around page 10 and forward you can see that there were people who were able to run this motor with bts7960 and a leonardo or esp32. i dont know what to do lol

https://github.com/flo199213/Hoverboard-Firmware-Hack-Gen2
    https://github.com/RoboDurden/Split_Hoverboard_SimpleFOC
    https://github.com/RoboDurden/Hoverboard-Firmware-Hack-Gen2.x
  18. tote46

tote46 New Member

Balance:
    23Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
  19. Chris_Beeves

Balance:
    1,910Coins
    Ratings:
    +232 / 3 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Probably not. The stall torque will most likely not be very good at all and you will have put a lot of work into something that simply doesn't do the jobb.
    How much is a makerbase Odrive where you are?
  20. Błażej Malujda

Błażej Malujda New Member

Balance:
    - 123Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF

Hello everyone,

Referring to the post by marccohn about the FFB wheel project using the hoverboard motor, I'm keen to understand some specifics. Can anyone provide details on the resistor and capacitor values used for the RC filter mentioned? Additionally, I'm curious about how the hoverboard firmware was configured from this repository: https://github.com/EFeru/hoverboard-firmware-hack-FOC.

Any insights or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!