1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

CANbus: How to drive a Mercedes A-Class W176 cluster?

Discussion in 'DIY peripherals' started by RacingMat, Sep 24, 2015.

1. SixCyl

SixCyl Member

Balance:
    444Coins
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, Arduino
    @RacingMat
    Good subject, I'm interested to add a real cluster with CAN iterface gauge as you do since I've already seen on Youtube.
    But ,in the past I did not feel able to achieved this work alone.
    I will go follow your project. I hope Useful for me in the futur.
    Thanks to share your working. It's much appreciated!
    Regards
    • Like Like x 1
  2. RacingMat

RacingMat Well-Known Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    20,914Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,086 / 21 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    @Jadran: i've ran a test: the needles shakes a bit and stop and no lights lighted... :(

Maybe there is an anti-start system on the cluster? I have read that some cluster were hard to start because of that... Any pointer on this matter?

@SixCyl : thanks! there are probably enough information gathered here to achieve such a project ;)
    but be sure of choosing a cluster model which is already described (pinout, ID node messages)
  3. Jadran

Jadran Member

Racing game:LFS,Simbin (Race07,GTREvo,RaceOn)
    Balance:
    3,207Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    @RacingMat this should be the lighting of the instrument panel

Attached Files:

4. Jadran

Jadran Member

Racing game:LFS,Simbin (Race07,GTREvo,RaceOn)
    Balance:
    3,207Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    @RacingMat Brightness control instrument lighting

Attached Files:

• Useful Useful x 1
  5. RacingMat

Balance:
    20,914Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,086 / 21 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    Good idea! maybe the brightness is too low indeed... i'll look for the rhesotat r1 and turn it :)
  6. SixCyl

SixCyl Member

Balance:
    444Coins
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, Arduino
    @RacingMat
    I hope to you that your problem isn't due to an history of coding with other component... I know in recent bmw models there are lot of components coded together. For explanation If you replace the light switch and if you dont recode it in the chain of Component in interaction, the engine doesn't start. In this case the light switch is in the loop of the antitheft (he communicate with antitheft module) and does not authorise to start if all components does not send a return with good response(code) between them...
    I'm sorry to not have enough knowledges about it to help you.
    I wish you good luck. And I keep an eye on your progress...
    Regards.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. SixCyl

SixCyl Member

Balance:
    444Coins
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, Arduino
    @RacingMat
    In real cars, I know in some model if the ECU is reading a vehicle speed above a given value, he pass through protection code and unlock the system for security of use.
    Thinking about a locking of the steering column and a stop of the engine occurring due to an electrical failure at 80MPH when you are cornering on the Highway...
    But i dont think that it's possible to unlock a dash board alone without all module connected together... (ECU, ABS/ESP...)
    But, I Think you can touch your goal without problem of coding,(I'm not sure, it's my personal reflexion) because on the model of car that allows to unlock antitheft system when pulling the car. The dashboard is lighted, and the speedometer gauge goes up when vehicle speed raise.
    (The only thing needed is powering system, Engine key On)
    The result without immobilizer key are a solid state cell lighted on the dashboard, due to immobilizer, but all function are in use (temp, speed ,odo meter, Time...)
    I hope this can help?
    It's all that i can say about multiplexed dashboard to encourage you...
    I hope that your model is in this case and not a new generation made to prevent the exchange of parts between another same car. (To preventing use of used parts as replacement )
    Not nice !!
    • Informative Informative x 2
  8. RacingMat

Balance:
    20,914Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,086 / 21 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    @SixCyl : very interesting! Thanks

My dash board is really new (2012) and I'm affraid when I read your information on how car manufacturers can prevent used part recycling :mad:
    Successful atempts have been done with Mazda RX8 which is much older indeed...

I have only 1 CanBus shield and I won't be able to simulate 2 ECU...
  9. VintageCollector

VintageCollector New Member

Balance:
    5Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Arduino
    Did anyone get this cluster finally working with their simrig?