1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Showroom Compact AC Servo 6DOF Rotary Stewart platform

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by knaufinator, May 26, 2020.

1. GettinBetter

GettinBetter Magna Merchant Gold Contributor

CAD Engineer
    Balance:
    194Coins
    Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    Thanks for the reply, but don't don't trouble yourself yet, I'll have a bash at it first.

You mean remove the Bluetooth classic and leave the BLE, or the other way around? The filtering was used via a phone app wasn't it?

Regards
    GB
  2. knaufinator

knaufinator Active Member

Simulation Engineer
    Balance:
    1,765Coins
    Ratings:
    +227 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    AC motor, 6DOF
    To late, curiosity got to me,... using the latest arduino IDE 2.1.1,and updated libraries, I was able to compile without issue. do you have the correct/same esp32 dev module at the top as I do?

it only uses the BLE for bluetooth, but its not really used for anything unless you wanted to use the phone app,.. which is not very useful... I was just bored one day so I made it work at the bare minimum. the filter was a proof of concept, that I never implemented in actual released code, so no reason to include it in the #include's

upload_2023-7-30_10-18-50.png
  3. GettinBetter

CAD Engineer
    Balance:
    194Coins
    Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    Lol, PMSL. That's interesting, and good to know. I'll have to checkout what libraries are actually being used.

I explored the ESP option first and opened a can of worms.
    The board I have has the following specs:
    Ebay listing....
    ESP32 NodeMcu Development Board WROOM 32 30 pinsDual Core WLAN WiFi Bluetooth
    ESP NodeMCU 32
    WROOM 32
    30 pins
    Dual LX6 cores

I have just changed the IDE board setting to the same as yours and got
    Code:
    Sketch uses 1322145 bytes (100%) of program storage space. Maximum is 1310720 bytes.
    Global variables use 44484 bytes (13%) of dynamic memory, leaving 283196 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 327680 bytes.
    Regards
    GB
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2023
  4. knaufinator

Simulation Engineer
    Balance:
    1,765Coins
    Ratings:
    +227 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    AC motor, 6DOF
  5. GettinBetter

CAD Engineer
    Balance:
    194Coins
    Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    Ok, will order a couple...
    Urgh, 2 weeks... oh well... :D

Appreciate your help
    Regards
    GB

Just noticed that was a pack of 3, and I orderd two..ha ha I wanted 3 anyway. Now I got 6 PMSL :D
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2023
  6. GettinBetter

CAD Engineer
    Balance:
    194Coins
    Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    Well, we're getting there, removed all the BLE stuff for now.

Comms1.png

Compiled & uploaded.

23-07-30_Sensor_Test_Bkts.jpg

But hit another obstacle. The Pololu step-up Vout was only 5V, so it seems I've managed to buy the wrong ones. New ones now on order. No biggie....

Will get on with cabling for power-up.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. GettinBetter

CAD Engineer
    Balance:
    194Coins
    Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    Wahoo....
    Well we put the 12V step-up supply in and run the PC test, that showed up a error in connections, not solder joints but the method I used to secure the MCP23S17 to the board. I used the same standoffs as the ESP32. Nope, pins didn't connect properly, anyway sorted it... got pins 2 & 9 going from 0 to ~5V.

Oh those ESP32 dev kits turned up, still can't get it to compile and fit with BLE??
    So used the version without BLE, pugged all in ....nothing..
    Went through the servo drive looking for paras I hadn't set properly... & found one.
    Powered up again and voila.. we have motion. It (oh yeah, did I mention I'd only connected one motor up :D) went through referencing, then I set all to zero in the "6DOF tester" hit 'Set Position' and Pow! shot to position, hit the reset (2047) and sp again and it returned.

So Next step is to clamp them down, and connect the rest up, still waiting on buss connectors, so it'll be a week or two. But hey, making progress :D
    • Like Like x 2
  8. GettinBetter

CAD Engineer
    Balance:
    194Coins
    Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    Nearly there should all be connected up by tomoz...but still need to clamp the motors.

Nearly_All_Connected.jpg
    Getting Excited :D
    • Like Like x 2
  9. GettinBetter

CAD Engineer
    Balance:
    194Coins
    Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    Just to confirm, I have today finally got my system (i.e. photo as previous post) connected to Assetto Corsa via simtools with some sensible intended movement. One of the main reasons for connection issues was not realising there was an 'X' at the end of this (<Axis1a>,<Axis2a>,<Axis3a>,<Axis4a>,<Axis5a>,<Axis6a>X) and it wasn't untill I looked closer at the .ino files, that realised it was needed to signify end of data block. But hey ho, all part of the game. So I can now progress with the platform/etc design and tweak the setting to my own. I've decided to 3D CAD the design.....

Never did manage to get the full prog compiled to the ESP32, but my controller_minus_BLE.ino seems to work ok.

It took a bit longer than anticipated as other projects (new car & bike) and real life chores get in the way.

Appreciate all the help, not sure I would've done it if you hadn't made it so easy. I will post progress in due course.

Regards
    GB
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2023
  10. GettinBetter

CAD Engineer
    Balance:
    194Coins
    Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    • Like Like x 3
  11. Alexandre Martel

Alexandre Martel New Member

Balance:
    24Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    Hey mate! @knaufinator
    I'm in the process of building a 6DOF sim rig like yours and I wanted to confirm something odd I found: On your build pictures I've noticed the brackets holding the gearboxes look like they're slightly angled down, somewhere around 10 degrees but I could be wrong... Might be a visual effect since the gussets themselves are angled.

Bottom line I was assuming that all motors axis were to lay on the same plane and just wanted to confirm if that was indeed the case. The gearboxes look indeed like they're all on the same plane, thus the confusion... Pretty much everything else is sorted out (for the time being ;) )

By the way, thank you very much for this project and the time you put into it! I'm currently ordering/receiving the main components and I can't wait to get something going.

Cheers from Quebec, Canada!

Attached Files:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. knaufinator

Simulation Engineer
    Balance:
    1,765Coins
    Ratings:
    +227 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    AC motor, 6DOF
    Good day my inspired friend. The motor/gear is indeed parallel with the plane of the ground. Good luck in the build. Strength and rigidity are key.
    • Useful Useful x 1
  13. Alexandre Martel

Alexandre Martel New Member

Balance:
    24Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    Thanks mate!
  14. GettinBetter

CAD Engineer
    Balance:
    194Coins
    Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    Hi Chris,
    Just to confirm, you defined in post #235/Page 12, that;

""platform height" is the height from the servo swing connecting arm plane (where the long arm is connected to the swing arm) -> to the chassis connecting points plane"

To be absolutely sure I have interpreted that correctly, is that 'the centreline of the top chasis connection points to the centreline of the motor shaft'?

I'm heavily into making the steelwork now, and am using the code via the GDB online debugger to get exact sizes.

Cheers Bud.
  15. knaufinator

Simulation Engineer
    Balance:
    1,765Coins
    Ratings:
    +227 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    AC motor, 6DOF
    Correct on your interpretation of the positioning height.
  16. GettinBetter

CAD Engineer
    Balance:
    194Coins
    Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    :thumbs Thank you.
    First bits came off the plasma today, and upgraded my rod end bearings to M16, as I feel my platform may be bigger, or I at least want the option of having so. I will hopefully have all the bits to put the base together over the xmas hols. :grin
    • Like Like x 2
  17. FeidhlimLee

FeidhlimLee Member

Balance:
    422Coins
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    Hello, Sir! It's been a while.
    I want to start a channel in bilibili.com to guide people to build a simulator as you guided me.
    And I would probably post the link of this thread as an alternative instruction for them, and before I do that, I want to get your permission for two things: 1.To distribute your designs and files on GitHub. 2.To post the link of this thread(this will possibly bring more comments here which can be sort of disturbing to you).
  18. knaufinator

Simulation Engineer
    Balance:
    1,765Coins
    Ratings:
    +227 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    AC motor, 6DOF
    Cool, no problems.
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  19. Rick Bickle

Rick Bickle New Member

Balance:
    12Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    AC motor, 6DOF
    I am reading all of your information on building this platform. Could you please share how you did the analysis of the geometry and what the final dimensions are?

Thanks,
    Rick
  20. knaufinator

Simulation Engineer
    Balance:
    1,765Coins
    Ratings:
    +227 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    AC motor, 6DOF
    in the helper.h file, this defines the most significant dimensions to make the inverse kinematic algorithm function for my rig.

the size and layout, i was going for small form factor, so i started building around the seat with that idea. i ensured the algorithm would be happy before building anything as I had a (rudimentary 3d tester/ the excel file in technical folder) , after that the goals are simple, light weight and balanced, and EXTREMEMLY STURDY

the thetas are angles for motor placement/orientation, id have to dig into specifically what angles,.. its been years... its based on the excel file in the technical folder, these values indicate my specific angle orientation around the base
    rd/pd are the diameter, for the base and chassis platform respectively 15.75 and 16 inches
    servo arm length is the length for the arms connected to the motors, 7.25 inches
    connecting arm length is the length of the arms from the chassis to the servo arms 28.5 inches
    platform height is the height above the plane of the motors, 25.5 inches

upload_2024-3-22_13-9-27.png

many of the dimensions i documented in the larger photo album
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/6UpUdS5Q1otJAuhEA

if there are specific items i did not capture feel free to ask
    • Informative Informative x 1