1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

DD-Wheel with Hoverboard Motor

Discussion in 'Direct Drive Wheels' started by Benu, Jan 21, 2019.

1. SaltyEddy

SaltyEddy New Member

Balance:
    96Coins
    Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Arduino
    Yes, I have same ppr. For me also setting the correct ppr made the deal.
    I also was thinking of buying a moza wheel.
    First fanatec but than I researched and saw that u need an original wheel or hub to make the ffb effect work. So at least 200 € extra.
    That's a no go for me. I want to use any wheel I want to. So it's moza.

Still, I want to try the Mks odrive. Perhaps it works so well that I don't need the moza. Someone in discord said he tested both. This DIY and a fanatec. He said fanatec has better effects and stuff, but the DIY is stronger and faster. In latency and max speeds. Also Nm is unbeatable for that price point.

Gpio pins, yes you can connect buttons. AFAIK the odesc has 4 Gpio pins which you need to ground to push them. Also have to activate and set as buttons it in the software. Because you can also use Potis instead of buttons.

Did you download the new firmware + software? The one where you have two exe files?
  2. paul2130

paul2130 New Member

Balance:
    149Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    I'm not even thinking about commercial products, how can i build this with 150 euro, and fanatec sells theirs DD with 700 euros(only the base + pedals and a rim). Yes, i know, industrial servo motor and all, but all of this you can get with a OSW to be honest.
    I am not sure about the newest version. Is that available on GitHub ? I did not see two executables..
  3. SaltyEddy

SaltyEddy New Member

Balance:
    96Coins
    Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Arduino
    You should join the discord. There is an extra room for the new version with the link to the new fw + software. It's better now. In my opinion at least.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. paul2130

paul2130 New Member

Balance:
    149Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Thanks! I will try it tomorrow.
  5. paul2130

paul2130 New Member

Balance:
    149Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Also, Eddy, I tried finding documentation about the GPIO pins on the ODesc board, not much luck. So I'm going to build the Lebois SRT pedals, which uses a hydraulic pressure sensor, and two potentiometers, do you think it would be possible to use the ODesc board as a controller for 3 analog axis? If so, how would I need to modify the firmware? Thanks !
  6. SaltyEddy

SaltyEddy New Member

Balance:
    96Coins
    Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Arduino
    I am not sure if you allready asked this on the discord.
    But you can use Potentiometers with the ODESC. It has 4 GPIO Pins which can be configured to be axis with the SW. Don't have to do anything in the FW. It is not like an Arduino. Flash FW and do everything else in the provided SW.
  7. paul2130

paul2130 New Member

Balance:
    149Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Yes, we ve talked on Discord, thank you!
    My pedals are almost finished, will share pictures if interested.
    Thanks!
  8. mxignas154

mxignas154 New Member

Balance:
    94Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor
    Hello, so im also planning to build hoverbard DD. Can someone give part list required.
    STM32 with the correct supported version
    What motor controller i can use cheaper than ODrive?
  9. Chris_Beeves

Chris_Beeves Active Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    1,956Coins
    Ratings:
    +233 / 3 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform, 4DOF
    If you choose the odrive or odesc4.2 you will not need another STM, which makes it cheaper in the end.
  10. paul2130

paul2130 New Member

Balance:
    149Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Hi, welcome!
    How cheap are you talking about? You know that there are cheap knockoffs of the Odrive, called ODesc, you can find on aliexpress.
    In very rough explanation, you need the hoverboard motor, you need an encoder, there several options here, and you need the controller board.
    You need a way to fix the motor to a solid base, I just used the base from the hoverboard, you need a way to mount a wheel to the motor, I used 3d printed quick release, and you need a wheel.
    Feel free to ask!
  11. mxignas154

mxignas154 New Member

Balance:
    94Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor
    I have made Belt Drive FFB wheel. So parts like Encoder and steering wheel i have. Have also BTS7960 and Arduino Leonardo, but that will not work.
    So now i find Odesc, do not know if it will work - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100...535547!sea!LT!0!AB&curPageLogUid=ot5CbMiX3cSI
    Also STM32 - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/330...82ead1f484ab22df91c80e051cc&afSmartRedirect=y
    (Do not know if that much cheaper will work, but person who gave the link to this STM32 said, that he bought it for 7$ 3 years ago.)
    Thats one cheaper - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100...936767!sea!LT!0!AB&curPageLogUid=Lk1jCezZXLyL

So do that odesc that i put the link - INCLUDES everything for board to work
  12. paul2130

paul2130 New Member

Balance:
    149Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    If you want to go the route of STM board, you will need 3x driver boards. Hoverboard motors are brushless motors->they work with 3 wires.
    ODesc board has everything you need, it takes care of the processing of the force feedback, and drives the hoverboard motor. It also comes with a brakeing resistor.
    The product in the first link you quoted is what we generally use, some use genuine ODrive boards. I use ODesc board for the past 2 months.
    Good luck !
  13. mxignas154

mxignas154 New Member

Balance:
    94Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor
    Im want to use only one motor drive board, so wondering what driver for hoverboard motor is reliable, cheaper than 60-100€
  14. paul2130

paul2130 New Member

Balance:
    149Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    That would be the ODesc board, if you get that, hoverboard motor and encoder, you re good to go!
    Good luck!
  15. mxignas154

mxignas154 New Member

Balance:
    94Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor
    Do i need STM32 seperate to Odesc v4.2? Or only Odesc to plug n play?
  16. mxignas154

mxignas154 New Member

Balance:
    94Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor
    Also do anyone know where to find 56v cheaper than 90€
  17. paul2130

paul2130 New Member

Balance:
    149Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    You don t need any controller board aside ODesc, it takes care of processing and driving the motor.
    Good luck!
    Also, you might want to join the discord of the project, more inside informations there .
  18. mxignas154

mxignas154 New Member

Balance:
    94Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor
    Strange, because someone says - "Do whatever you like, but this firmware doesn't run on that hardware and control a motor with it
    The firmware might run on that chip, but then you'll need to buy another motor controller"

So now i do mot know what parts i need at all to run it
  19. cleudo

cleudo te

Balance:
    - 623Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, Arduino
    Where can I get the program to make it work?
  20. MrDemon

MrDemon New Member

Balance:
    - 80Coins
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    Hello. I have encountered some problems, and I don't understand how to find a solution. I have an STM32F4, and I used it to control a steering wheel with a regular motor from a car electric fan. Now I bought an ODrive-S MKS and I'm trying to run a BLDC motor (a motor from a power steering unit). This motor had a resolver as an encoder. An inverter for the resolver is too expensive, so I made a DIY encoder using Hall sensors. I calibrated the sensors using an Arduino-based oscilloscope. I think I configured the ODrive itself. All calibrations passed. The motor works, spins, and returns to its position, but I feel that the brake resistor is too weak for such a motor. In the kit, there was a 50W 2-ohm resistor. Now I'm trying to run EMC and ODrive together via the CAN bus. I can't get anything to work ((( I grounded it correctly (STM ground, TJA1051, ODrive, PSU are all connected together). The resistance between H and L = 60 ohms. But when I run the EMC program and set CAN-Odrive, can speed, and other parameters, nothing happens. FFB doesn't work. The project uses a 1:3 belt transmission. The steering wheel encoder is separate on the steering axis. The PSU is 12V 120A. It seems like there is no communication on the CAN bus, and I can't figure out what I did wrong ((((.
    photo_2023-12-24_21-46-35.jpg photo_2023-12-24_21-46-42.jpg
  21. Francisco Junior

Francisco Junior Member

Balance:
    285Coins
    Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, Arduino
    After spending about 2 hours reading all 34 pages.... yes, I went page by page until I got here...lol a question arose.

I would like to know if it is possible to use an ODESC 4.2 24V with a 36V 350W engine, and if I will have a satisfactory NM to drive?