1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

DIY FFB Steering wheel (MMosFFB ) (In Progress)

Discussion in 'DIY peripherals' started by Alexey, Dec 10, 2015.

1. elnino

elnino Active Member

Computer Geek
    Balance:
    1,464Coins
    Ratings:
    +136 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    Yeah, just run everything in parallel, but try to keep the main power wires as close to the same length as you can. The logic wires are not so important. I have been running mine faultless for 3 years.

A second word of advice - Even though your heatsink is cool, the chips on the other side might still be hot. There is poor connection between the board and the heatsink. Ideally, you need to add solder to the vias (holes) behind the chips (under the heatsink) as most of them will be empty and gives poor thermal transfer. Further to that, add some heatsink pad between the PCB and heatsink to help get the heat away. This helps them last a lot longer and increases current handling.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Wayne Thebus

Wayne Thebus Member Gold Contributor

CNC Machinist/Programmer
    Balance:
    163Coins
    Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    I experienced a similar situation, after changing to a more powerful Psu, the issue was resolved.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Enie_E

Enie_E New Member

Balance:
    65Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Cheers guys! going to get a bigger PSU as this makes a lot of sense
  4. elnino

elnino Active Member

Computer Geek
    Balance:
    1,464Coins
    Ratings:
    +136 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    You may want to consider a higher current but lower voltage power supply if that's the case. Running too much power will want to fuse the windings.

There are some great calculations that another member has done somewhere on here to do with efficiency of the motors and expected energy to be given off as heat to determine the ideal limits.

Remember, just because your motor might be rated at 1000W, that's not in stall mode. Stall mode means that almost all energy the motor consumes is given off as heat rather than rotational energy. From memory it was only about 30% of the rated wattage that should actually be used (sustained). This can be controlled by setting the max % output in EMC. A high current clamp meter is a good investment to keep things in check.
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. mlgprod

mlgprod New Member

Balance:
    39Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Arduino
    Hello i am having a problem with my diy steering wheel i built. im using arduino leonardo and emc lite, everything works perfect in emc and I can turn the wheel and it shows the wheel degrees prefectly, but as soon as I load any game and there is a car it immediately stops working correctly and the steering rate goes down and it steers very slow and eventually stops working unless I close the game then it instantly works just fine again. i have absolutely no clue why this is happening and would appreciate help.
  6. elnino

elnino Active Member

Computer Geek
    Balance:
    1,464Coins
    Ratings:
    +136 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    Can you describe more about the hardware?
    Motor:
    Power Supply:

What game are you trying it with? Have you used anything else?

My gut feeling is that it's either power supply related or possibly the game you are using is not compatible with EMC Lite.

Remember, EMC lite has not been developed in many, many years. You're much better off with EMC Pro on an STM32 or look at OpenFFBoard as both of these are current development.
  7. mlgprod

mlgprod New Member

Balance:
    39Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Arduino
    I'm using a 250 watt brushed DC motor and a brushed motor driver which does pwm for the motor and just powered off a battery. And it doesnt matter what game all same results, I have tried beamng, project cars and euro truck sim and all the same. Maybe I'll try EMC full version if that might help.
  8. elnino

elnino Active Member

Computer Geek
    Balance:
    1,464Coins
    Ratings:
    +136 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    If that's the case, I think you're going to have to me much more detailed in the description of your setup.
  9. mlgprod

mlgprod New Member

Balance:
    39Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Arduino
    yea I don't know if the problem is even fixable. But I've had times where I would load up a game with the wheel and it worked perfectly the whole time I would play, and other times it doesn't work and currently isn't working. I must have done something to get it to work in the game but I don't know what.
    I've followed a tutorial from this video ( ) I have pretty much the same setup except the mechanical hardware is a little different as it uses some 3d printed parts but all electronics including the motor are the same.
  10. mlgprod

mlgprod New Member

Balance:
    39Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Arduino
    well I have found the solution to the problem. apparently all I had to do was connect power to Arduino through the dc jack and now it seems it gives more power to the encoder. I think when a game was running the USB 5v couldn't supply enough power for everything and the encoder, so it started being slow but that might not be true just my theory. but now everything is working as it should the wheel always stays centered and the steering rate is constant at all times.
  11. RubenC

RubenC New Member

Balance:
    - 24Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, AC motor, Arduino
    Hello

I am thinking of mounting a steering wheel with STM32F401CCU6, BTS7960B, 1000ppm encoder. I will use the EMC pro program, which I currently use for a Logitech G27 MOD. As for the engine, I'm still not sure. I have thought about an XD-63120. But I have these two options that I don't know how they can work.

https://www.oem.co.uk/products/moto...otor-only-_-557131/doga---321-series-_-345386

https://www.elmeq.es/producto/gr63x55-24-v/

I'm sure someone understands more about engines and can help me.

Sorry for my English as a translator.

Greetings
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 22, 2023
  12. Vlad1225@45

Vlad1225@45 New Member

Balance:
    110Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    Hello everyone, I’m making a steering wheel with my own hands using an arduino leonardo and encountered an error in the RFR Wheel Configuration program - Copyright Ai-Wave 2016 (version 0.21)

Attached Files:

13. Vladimir S

Vladimir S New Member

Balance:
    22Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Arduino, 4DOF
    Hallo!
    I'm Vladimir, new here.
    I'm glad I signed up; it wasn't without reason.
    I've been working on an Android-based force feedback (FFB) steering wheel for quite some time, collecting various motors. Currently, I have options like 24v 200w +-3000rpm and 80BLD300L2 24V 300W, which comes with a Hall sensor.
    My question is, can I directly connect the Hall sensor from the motor to an Arduino to avoid using an encoder?
  14. Vladimir S

Vladimir S New Member

Balance:
    22Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Arduino, 4DOF
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 4, 2024
  15. Ranson

Ranson New Member

Balance:
    16Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Arduino
    Hello I'm planning to build DIY sim wheel and pedal. Need a overview on the software and hardware required to do so.
  16. kevin toxy

kevin toxy New Member

Balance:
    16Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino
    Hi sir plz help me i am using emc lite version in that i have set steering angle to 900degree but when i spins the steering wheel it locks at 450degree plz help me
  17. Gadget999

Gadget999 Well-Known Member

Balance:
    11,700Coins
    Ratings:
    +460 / 9 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino, 6DOF
    Half the number of encoder pulses
  18. elnino

elnino Active Member

Computer Geek