1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Showroom Motorcycle 4 DoF Motion sim

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by Chris_Beeves, Sep 10, 2021.

1. Chris_Beeves

Chris_Beeves Active Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    1,919Coins
    Ratings:
    +233 / 3 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform, 4DOF
    Yesterday I picked up the aluminum clamps from the workshop. Feels really cool seeing the design come to life!

upload_2024-1-10_22-14-42.jpeg

Looking forward to mounting and testing, but first, vacation!
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Michail

Michail Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    698Coins
    Ratings:
    +26 / 1 / -0
    Hello Chris, could you please explain the criteria you used to calculate the length of the rods at the back, the angle, and the anchor point where they are mounted? I’m currently planning my rig with Fusion360 and, well, I’m not really sure… I can’t seem to figure it out from your pictures alone. Thank you very much for that.
  3. Chris_Beeves

Balance:
    1,919Coins
    Ratings:
    +233 / 3 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Honestly I don’t remember putting too much time into that. I think we just wanted the servo arms be 90 degrees to the rods and the rods be 90 degrees to each other at rest. They sit on aluminum extrusion so they are easily adjustable. I think I lowered the rear a bit from the original position to get a good feel on the bike.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Chris_Beeves

Balance:
    1,919Coins
    Ratings:
    +233 / 3 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Mounted the new clamps to the rig. Great fit!
    Haven't really done the full force test yet, but they feel solid enough. The rubber mount for the steering actuator is working itself a little loose though so I have to do something about that. Maybe just solid mount, the motor doesn't seem to be making as much noise as I expected.

upload_2024-1-23_15-42-41.jpeg
    • Like Like x 2
  5. M0nk3yofdoom

M0nk3yofdoom New Member

Balance:
    95Coins
    Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    Have you investigated further into the torque steering system?
  6. Chris_Beeves

Balance:
    1,919Coins
    Ratings:
    +233 / 3 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    It has been implemented a while now. The current setup is version two of the load sensing steering.
  7. M0nk3yofdoom

M0nk3yofdoom New Member

Balance:
    95Coins
    Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    could you point me in the direction of some reading you used or what issues you had to solve to implement it?

I had a theory that a lot of the physics of steering a bike could be solved with how software reacts to the inputs at different stages of speed and the corner. i thought most if the leaning and weight transfer could be managed with the 6dof of a vr headset. Haven't gotten further than that until some bike game opens up those controls to the inputs. Maybe GP bikes already attempts this? I'm brand new to biking in games so am only working with the milestone franchises atm...
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2024
  8. Chris_Beeves

Balance:
    1,919Coins
    Ratings:
    +233 / 3 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    GPbikes has a "directsteer" function which I used at first with a normal ffb unit. It is supposed to simulate countersteering by connecting the ffb unit straight to the physics engine of the game pretty much, taking the input as torque input. To me it is as close as any game have come to "the real thing", but does not work very well after version beta19 of the game.
    That is what I used for this video:

The issue for me is that there is too much movement of the handlebars required, since it calculates input torque based on the angle input. That's why I wanted to build my own solution.

I do use the VR headset position for estimating rider weight transfer, but I feel I need better measurements. There's a whole lot of communication between the rider and bike that doesn't necessarily mean the rider is moving it's head much. Especially at low speeds.
    The idea is to read the roll torque of the upper platform and from there derive the inputs and see how that differs from the head displacement.
    • Informative Informative x 2
  9. Chris_Beeves

Balance:
    1,919Coins
    Ratings:
    +233 / 3 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Just noticed I didn't really respond to this.
    The torque sensing itself is pretty straightforward. The first version had load cells in the handlebars, so I had to have two of everything and then "mix the signals". This is now switched to a single in-line loadcell. Simpler and less noise.
    I didn't really read much, just tried to convert my own experience of riding motorcycles into arduino code. Which has been and still is a challenge.
    • Informative Informative x 2
  10. M0nk3yofdoom

M0nk3yofdoom New Member

Balance:
    95Coins
    Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    Have you looked at slime body trackers for VR? They're cheap to purchase or its open source so you can make your own. That might help with body transfer where head isn't involved. https://docs.slimevr.dev/ I'd imagine it would make sense attaching them to your hips vs shoulders.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Chris_Beeves

Balance:
    1,919Coins
    Ratings:
    +233 / 3 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    I have thought a lot about this and while body trackers in theory should be possible to use, I have decided to go straight to the source and measure the actual effects of the body movements.
    Maybe a bad decision, we will see :)
    My rig is free to move around the rear joint, so I should get good data reading from the front connecting points.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Fabrizio Penzo

Fabrizio Penzo Member

Balance:
    137Coins
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Hallo to all my name is Fabrizio i have a big question , for the simulator you use the mecanic motor , why you don't use direct drice motor like the ones for the handlebar so you fell the ffb on the bike ?
    sorry for the stupid question im a chef ...ahahaha
  13. Chris_Beeves

Balance:
    1,919Coins
    Ratings:
    +233 / 3 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Hello Fabrizio!
    Short answer is; Money.

This is the cheapest option available. Direct drive servos would be fantastic, but they would also need to be extremely powerful = expensive.
    Linear actuators that use ball screws are the more reasonable option. Since the ball screws have very low losses they can give you much more precise feedback. My motors are quite crude.

Next bike sim I make will most likely use ball screw actuators instead.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Fabrizio Penzo

Fabrizio Penzo Member

Balance:
    137Coins
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Thank for your answee Chris i'm looking for make a new bike project with a ffb system direct drive , but as i told you i'm a chef with a lot of idea ....there is the possibility you 'll help me ? In this project ? I can come allo to you in france im from verona italy
  15. Chris_Beeves

Balance:
    1,919Coins
    Ratings:
    +233 / 3 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Ideas and passion will take you a long way! That's how I started too. :)

I'll help if I can. I'm in Sweden, a bit of a drive from Verona ;)
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  16. Chris_Beeves

Balance:
    1,919Coins
    Ratings:
    +233 / 3 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Finally got my ass out of the wagon (is that even an expression?) and mounted the load cells to the upper platform. This will allow me to use the riders physical movements as steering input in a better way.
    Hopefully it will make it easier and more intuitive to use for more people.

upload_2024-2-1_12-15-21.png

Well, I do need to connect them and write the code still, but at least steps were taken!
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Fabrizio Penzo

Fabrizio Penzo Member

Balance:
    137Coins
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Im happy to hear that...its a lot of time test i imagine it ..i'll let you know waths 'll happen ..thank a lot
  18. Chris_Beeves

Balance:
    1,919Coins
    Ratings:
    +233 / 3 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Now the weight shift sensors are in place and code has the functionality somewhat where I want it.
    Yesterday I realized I’m starting to feel “finished” with this sim. Just one more technical solution going on there, then I don’t have more plans. Feels strange. I have learned heaps that I hopefully will bring with me in the next version platform not too far in the future.

upload_2024-2-15_19-3-35.jpeg

These are parts of the last function. Can you guess?
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  19. Michail

Michail Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    698Coins
    Ratings:
    +26 / 1 / -0
    How can you compress the springs to install them? I have four gas dampers with a stroke power of 300N, but I’m unable to compress them for installation. Unfortunately, I’m running out of ideas.
  20. Chris_Beeves

Balance:
    1,919Coins
    Ratings:
    +233 / 3 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    When my platform in its max position the springs are fully extended so easy to install
    • Winner Winner x 1