1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Reasonably Priced 100A Motor Controllers

Discussion in 'Motor actuators and drivers' started by Richard Ortengren, Jan 29, 2023.

Tags:
  1. adgun

adgun Active Member

mechanic
    Balance:
    5,638Coins
    Ratings:
    +131 / 3 / -0
    Hi
    sorry i cant help you with that but can explaine somthing else going ,down with load and without load
    The load is holded mechanical this load komes upon contactpoint where the gearbox slides.
    When there is a current difference going down with and without load its comming from there gr. Ad
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Gadget999

Gadget999 Well-Known Member

Balance:
    11,802Coins
    Ratings:
    +471 / 9 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino, 6DOF
    Do you have electromagnetic brakes on your motors ?

I suggest you reduce the lever arm length

Also reduce the P number and witness the effect of current
  3. Josh_Possa

Josh_Possa Active Member

Balance:
    506Coins
    Ratings:
    +32 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, DC motor, Motion platform
    No, that motors does not have EM brakes. The worm gear box is big enough to hold me when the motor is disconnected from the current so it does not need EM brakes.

This afternoon I'll drill another hole in one of the levers to check if it will make substancial difference with the current consumption.

Yesterday I tweaked all the parameters, also the P number from 0 to 70-80 when the motor start moving (still away from the blue line) and the current was the same as when the P value raise to 300, exactly the same.
  4. Gadget999

Balance:
    11,802Coins
    Ratings:
    +471 / 9 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    it appears you have a LOT of friction in your gearboxes

I would expect them to move with a much smaller P number

I have a 6dof with similar gear ratios and it falls back down even with no passenger on board

i suggest you open the gearboxes flush out the grease and refill with oil or a thinner grease

where the motors brand new when you got them ?

this one drops down under its own weight -
  5. Josh_Possa

Josh_Possa Active Member

Balance:
    506Coins
    Ratings:
    +32 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    I was suspecting that too. There is a lot of friction and also I think to increase the lube quantity/quality. I push with 125 -135 Kg of force and the gearboxes don¡t move even a millimeter. I've write to the seller to ask him about it.

Yes, the motors are brand new, manufactured in november in fact.

What do you think about getting more than five times current between the boards and motor compared to the current between PS and board? Is it possible there are reactive power due the PWM?

Thanks!
  6. Gadget999

Balance:
    11,802Coins
    Ratings:
    +471 / 9 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    a clamp meter is not an accurate way to measure current - it is possible the polarity is changing fast messing up the reading

i use a 'shunt' that meter that has a gauge - the current moves through the shunt directly
  7. Josh_Possa

Josh_Possa Active Member

Balance:
    506Coins
    Ratings:
    +32 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    If you see in the video the clamp is reading the current positive or negative depending on the motor direction (due the sine wave). That changes of polarity aren't fast at all. This is getting me a little bit frustrated.

Do you think create a new tread exposing the problem will be appropriate?
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2024
  8. Wagnard

Wagnard Well-Known Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    4,779Coins
    Ratings:
    +647 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    for info, my motors eats +- 30A when im on it.
    Also the current higher between the board and the motor is possibly he back emf (regenerative current) that cant go anywhere because you have no batteries.
    Problem doesn't seem to be your board but the current way too high in them. (the itching sound is also an indication of that.)
    Possible that the motor are maybe not efficient at all.
    • Like Like x 2
  9. Gadget999

Balance:
    11,802Coins
    Ratings:
    +471 / 9 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Good advice, fit a battery to remove the regeneration
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Josh_Possa

Josh_Possa Active Member

Balance:
    506Coins
    Ratings:
    +32 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Thanks so much for help me. Tomorrow I'll buy a couple of bateries to sum 24V or test it only with 12V. I returned the boards today but I still have a couple of IBT-2 to test without too much load and see.

If it works the most likely is I'll buy two sabertooth 60A that I see are very configurable. If not.....well...we will see

Thanks again guys
  11. adgun

adgun Active Member

mechanic
    Balance:
    5,638Coins
    Ratings:
    +131 / 3 / -0
    I Dont think there is regeneration with a selflocking gearbox
  12. adgun

adgun Active Member

mechanic
    Balance:
    5,638Coins
    Ratings:
    +131 / 3 / -0
    If a wormgearbox can by backdriven or not isnt the greace its the tooth angle
    Every ratio got different efficienty tis does the tooth angle at some point the tooth angle becomes under 3 degree and they become selflocking regards Ad
  13. Josh_Possa

Josh_Possa Active Member

Balance:
    506Coins
    Ratings:
    +32 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Yes I have had read that. A wormgearbox can be moved in one direction (meaning from the motor to the axis) but not in the other direction (trying turning the motor from the axis) so It does not be a problem. BTW The gearboxes are filled with oil, not grease. Also, some mechanical friends told me that the gearboxes efficiency shouldn't be less than 90%, otherwise the gearbox will got very very hot ant it is not the case
  14. adgun

adgun Active Member

mechanic
    Balance:
    5,638Coins
    Ratings:
    +131 / 3 / -0
    I am 60my schooltime it was greace and abouth 60% i looked at some wormgearboxes for 750 watt motors with ratio 50 and found 2 wth complete specs 1 efficienty dynamic 68% static efficienty 35% and 2 efficienty dynamic 65% no static efficienty price from the first 500 euro
    fore a 90% efficienty you come at hich efficient planetary gearboxes gr Ad
    • Useful Useful x 1
  15. Josh_Possa

Josh_Possa Active Member

Balance:
    506Coins
    Ratings:
    +32 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Thanks Ad, well the question now is know if the 95Nm output anounced is taking into account the efficiency or not. The seller told me yesterday that they calcule the output torque as follows:

Torque=9550xpower(KW)/shaft rated speed

But he does not have the combined motor+GB efficiency at the moment
  16. adgun

adgun Active Member

mechanic
    Balance:
    5,638Coins
    Ratings:
    +131 / 3 / -0
    The point is he can thell you what he want. A lott of thenical things have internation standards motor specs isnt one of them.
    A machine fabric got engineers and they know if some one in not thelling the treud he goes on a blacklist
    gr.Ad
  17. adgun

adgun Active Member

mechanic
    Balance:
    5,638Coins
    Ratings:
    +131 / 3 / -0
    I made a small mistake motor specs must be motor with gearbox specs isnt one of them
    To by precice one watt is one joule and 1 joule is 1 newton with a speed from 1 meter a second andyou can make NM from N 60 rpm gives a speed from arroud 6.3 meter second devided by 750 youre some where arround 120NM he uses a verry high efficienty
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Josh_Possa

Josh_Possa Active Member

Balance:
    506Coins
    Ratings:
    +32 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Hello, today I tested the current consumption with a 85mm lever and a 12V lead car battery and.....nothing changes :(. To be fair this test was with a IBT-2 because I already does not have the 100A boards but the problem stills. LOT of current between IBT and motor and 3 to 5 times less current between the battery and the IBT.

Theoretically that motor should be able to lift 120Kg at that lever distance but it can't lift more than 25 Kg without shoot up the current exponentially. I already contact with the seller but I suspect this looks bad to me :( That motors are not cheap
  19. Gadget999

Balance:
    11,802Coins
    Ratings:
    +471 / 9 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    If you unbolt the gearbox, how easy is it to turn by hand ?
  20. Josh_Possa

Josh_Possa Active Member

Balance:
    506Coins
    Ratings:
    +32 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    You mean separate the motor and gearbox? I haven't done that but I can try. Today I bought two sabertooth 2x60 to test with it and six resistors. If it does not work I'll return the sabertooth and will return or sell the motors. We will see. I I have enough time I'll try to disasemble the gearbox today and check how hard is to turn the motor and the gearbox
    • Like Like x 1